Living the Tarot

Elendil

I am currently reading Tarotsophy by Marcus Katz. One of the exercises he suggests is called 'Living the Tarot'. You take only the Major Arcana cards (not including The Fool) and work through them one by one in sequence. Each card is placed somewhere where you can see it easily. You do not move on to the next card until you feel that somehow that card manifests itself as an experience in your life. If you stop to ask yourself was that a High Priestess experience (for example) then it clearly wasn't. Marcus Katz reckons it can take up to 18 months to work through the cards. I started this exercise several weeks ago with The Magician. A week or so into the exercise I just knew that the card had exerted its influence upon a situation I eperienced, and so moved on to The High Priestess. Since pulling the card and setting it up beside my laptop I have had the most vivid of dreams. Last night was the wierdest and I am certain that the dream held a message for me that I can act upon. I reckon that was my High Priestess moment - so I have now pulled The Empress from the deck I chose for the exercise...and I await events to unfold.

Has anyone else ever tried this?

Elendil.

Babalon Jones

That sounds like a valuable exercise.

I know that when painting my deck it was very like that - except, oddly, the card energy of the NEXT card in the sequence would manifest in life as I was working on a card.

Guess it was like astrology, in that the energy is strongest when the aspect is applying.

Bhavana

I have heard of this, must have been when I read a review of the book - I think I am going to try it. I learn best from exercises like this.

NikkiB

I'm going to work through these exercises to, it sounds really interesting - what deck are you using out of interest?

ETA: When I was reading Mary Greers Tarot reversals book I remember her saying that as she worked though the reversals she experienced them all as she was working on each particular card. Food for thought about what you want to create in your life and using a mandala to manifest it....

Elendil

I'm going to work through these exercises to, it sounds really interesting - what deck are you using out of interest?

I am using the Gill Tarot majors.

nisaba

Often I jsut wander through a scene or happening in my regular life, and I suddenly realise I am in a Tarot Card.

A lot of the non-Tarot-based exercises he recommends in that book in the greyed-out areas, I feel, are superb training for a Tarotist.

NikkiB

I am still waiting for this book :( it seems to be taking forever to get here but I thought I would crack on with this exercise - So I duly have the Magician from my illuminated Chakra Arcana Majors next to my laptop.

Is that all I need to do? :)

Elendil

I am still waiting for this book :( it seems to be taking forever to get here but I thought I would crack on with this exercise - So I duly have the Magician from my illuminated Chakra Arcana Majors next to my laptop.

Is that all I need to do? :)

Essentially, YES. Now you wait. From time to time look at the card - or if you are away from home picture it in your head. At some point (and it will be obvious) the card will manifest in your life in some way.

For me The Magician 'experience' happened after about a week and a half when without apparent explanation a situation arose where information and communication suddenly seemed to 'explode' around me. It was as if a 'conduit' had been created - and, almost uncannily, my computer started downloading information far faster than its usual SLOW speed.

The High Priestess has taken about 4 weeks to manifest - as a message in a dream. You don't need to push it...just think about the card from time to time. You WILL know when it happens.

NikkiB

OK... i'll wait and see :D I have it on a card stand right next to my laptop, I can't help but look at it as it keeps glittering in the corner of my eye.