Lovers and the snake.

Free Spirit

I was´´nt sure whether to post this on the old thread for lovers.
Can anyone tell me what the snake represents thats entwined round the tree.

BrightEye

The serpent in the Paradise story that gets Eve to eat from the Tree of Knowledge. Sexuality. Wisdom.

ofbainbridge

Free Spirit,

Because they shed their skin for new growth snakes can also represent physical changes and transitions that unions bring. Transformations, changes, of consciousness, figurative death & rebirth, evolution...

Peace

Thirteen

Rider-Waite uses the Eden story for the Lovers. In the picture, they are standing between the Tree of Life (maybe the burning bush?) and the Tree of Knowledge, and there is that snake signaling choices. As they are naked and not wearing fig leaves, we don't know if they've eaten of the fruit yet or not, or if they've been returned to Eden for that matter.

The Angel above takes the place of "cupid" here signaling their spiritual marriage and the spiritual communication that is possible between them, as they are two halves of a whole (Eve came from Adam's rib, so she and he are one in the same, opposite sides of the same coin). The Angel is, if you will, emblematic of the telepathy and understanding between couples made possible by love.

He may also symbolizes "banishment" from Eden. But Waite believes that there is a way back to Eden as well. People look at this card and see only Adam and Eve being sent out of Eden, but the card could just as well be showing their return to Eden with the Angel welcoming them back. Back to perfect love.

The serpent represents the choices we make in life and love, and the consequences of such choices. It also represents, like the Angel, a connection between Adam and Eve. As if one eats of the fruit and the other does not, they will be separated.

Personally, I don't much like this image for the Lovers. Earlier decks usually had a man choosing between two women with cupid overhead. I tend to like those better. They match, IMHO, the original name of the card better--that name being just "Love."

MercyMe

Thirteen said:
Personally, I don't much like this image for the Lovers. Earlier decks usually had a man choosing between two women with cupid overhead. I tend to like those better. They match, IMHO, the original name of the card better--that name being just "Love."

Yeah, the earliest decks didn't even have the three figures but more of a Valentine card image of cupid and two lovers. The Marseilles decks interjected that third party which then introduced the concept of "choice" to the card as well as the concept of "temptation." Waite's image actually wraps all the historic imagery into one scene with the love, the choice, the temptation (which the snake represents as well) and the sense of completeness this love represents.

Which doesn't mean I think it's the best Lovers imagery, I don't. I've seen paintings which I think better reflect the concepts, but I do think it's interesting that Waite's card actually attempts to fit in all the historical meanings and then some in that one card.