LWB Meanings

Sunburst

I just got the Tarot of the Hidden Folk. I like the deck quite a bit (although there are things about some of the cards that bother me).

My main issue is... I have trouble with some of the meanings from the LWB.

Temperance: mood changes which can be frightening,
The Empress: many actions seem aimed at increasing vanity
Strength: unfortunately we often dedicate ourselves to empty activities
Justice: always ready to show off
Knight of Swords: he follows any advice, even if stupid, because of his laziness
Queen of Chalices: in spite of her gentle ways, she doesn't enjoy doing things for others.
Nine of Pentacles: loves theft, swindles, and common speculation

Most times, I just read intuitively, not necessarily worrying about the "traditional" meaning of a particular card. But, having read through the LWB, some of those meanings now stick in my head, and they bother me.

My question to all of you is, when the LWB meanings vary from the traditional meanings, do you use the LWB meanings, or do you ignore them?

Sunburst

Grizabella

Even the standard meanings are just suggestions for us to branch out from, so if you don't agree with the LWB, by all means go with your own. I think the book meanings, whether LWB or bigger book, are really just a springboard, or to go with if you get a little bit stuck intuitively because they're something to fall back on to prompt your intuition.

However, there are some decks that are so much different from the most recognized systems like RWS or Thoth or others that you do have to take into account what the artist had in mind for their own deck. You still don't have to follow their meanings closely, but at least consider them and take them for information, even with a grain of salt.

Tarot of the Hidden Folk is a Lo Scarabeo deck, though, if I remember right. They sometimes do differ in the meanings they give to their cards, I think.

Sunburst

Thanks Lyric. Yes, it is a Lo Scarabeo. I have several LS decks, and you're right, many times they do vary, and I haven't had much of a problem with it... I often read intuitively anyway. Actually, I've usually found that, in their other decks, I can see where the "alternate" meaning comes from, when looking at the cards. I also have the Bruegel, and the Vikings, for example. I also have the Thoth, which obviously has different meanings from RWS. Not a problem.

It's just that, with this Hidden Folk deck, if I was to read it intuitively, based on the images of the cards, I wouldn't come up with anything like the suggested interpretations, and it's throwing me off. The deck is very new, less than a week old, so I haven't had much time to work with it.

I'm most likely going to read it intuitively, yet I feeling kind of "guilty" for not following along with the artist's vision. I suppose, in the end, if I find I use this as a frequent reading deck, I'll have to give the interpretations that make sense to me.

Thanks again, Lyric.

Sunburst

Zephyros

I don't think that you are "betraying" the artist's vision in any way, since their vision was not to create an LWB, it was to create a Tarot deck. Something as visual as that is always up to your own interpretation, and the paintings were meant[.i] to be subjectivly interpreted. That's what it is all for:)

Grizabella

I agree with cloraspexa. And usually the written information that goes along with a deck isn't written by the artist. At least, that's true when there's an actual book that goes with a deck. But I think the artist at least gets together with the person writing the text----maybe they didn't get together on this one. :)

MeeWah

closrapexa said:
I don't think that you are "betraying" the artist's vision in any way, since their vision was not to create an LWB, it was to create a Tarot deck...

Ditto.

Nigh all LWBs generic, though know of a few which apparently address the deck itself. They generally of a standard to provide the rudimentary meanings. The rest up to the reader.

tarotbear

Sometimes the LWB isn't even written by the artist ... and thus adds to the confusion mix.

Remember - what is written in the LWB is not written in stone...