MAAT arrived today!!

wytchwood

Well I finally got my hands on the much coveted Maat. First impressions were that it is much bigger (even though everyone said big) than I expected, and thinner. The cards are quite thin and very shiny which I had not expected. The artwork is every bit as stunning as I thought it would be, even more breathtaking on account of the large shiny cards! When I started looking through the book (which is very special indeed) I felt the lazy me start to wriggle impatiently. The 'traditional' order seems to be made a muddle of by Julie Cuccia-Watts' lunar system. However, as the cards are unnumbered, there's no reason to despair! The deck can be used without learning it from scratch, and the system studied at leisure. When I tried a little reading with it I was pleasantly surprised how well it reads. Yes, it's VERY difficult to shuffle for those of us with dollies' hands, but the readings jump out at you when you turn the cards over. There is enough familiarity there to make it readable out of the box, and the depth of the imagery makes it extremely easy to connect with the cards.

I have to admit that, both with this deck and the Ancestral Path, I have found that if I read what the artist has to say, I can relate to it, but I don't always see the cards the same way. Ultimately she uses similar meanings to those I would use, but associates it with things that to me seem to have little relevance as they are perhaps personal musings of hers, and we all have our own different ways of making sense of the Tarot. That said, I do resonate well with much of what she writes. Having started to use the deck, I don't think this has to be an issue for me if I keep an open mind and remain flexible in my approach.

It was a bit pricier than your average deck, but it's not an average deck. I would certainly say it's well worth having. It's a very beautiful deck and I expect I'll get some good readings with it!

Come on Julie CW- how about a smaller size one for everyday use???? Eh??

Zoe xx

SolSionnach

wytchwood,
If you ever want to get into exactly where Julie was going with the new arrangement of the cards, Corinne Kenner has a Maat workbook on lulu.com that I highly recommend. Some folks have made a big deal that there is a "mini-maat" that you could cut out and use, but it's *really* mini - the size of large stamps. Worthless, IMO.

I recommend reading through her book (there's lots of interesting stuff in there!) and using the workbook to get a better handle on her system. If you have more than a passing interest in the moon and astrology, it will be enlightening (she's an astrologer, as well). While I don't agree with all her choices either, I think the deck is a G.R.A.N.D. one in every sense of the word.

Enjoy!

Sravana, who :heart:'s her Maat greatly

lilith

Ditto on that

I have the MAAt and love it too. I eventually want to get the workbook as well. I've had some of my best readings with this deck and have to say it's one of my favorites. I agree that the new way the book is laid out is kind of confusing but I try to use the images more intuitively. I just love all the detail that's been put into the cards.

6 Haunted Days

I just love my Maat! :love: Yes the cards are huge aren't they. Quite unwieldy. But then the art is just so exquisite having that large a size just takes your breath away when layed out in spreads or for study.

The book is luxurious...that is the manuscript type paper used, the old english font and the various art included through-out, I just love it!. Like you, for me the card musings seemed to have a very tenuous connection with anything to do with the card itself....her very personal thoughts perhaps. Interesting info in many cases, but pointless for me as far as helping understand the card.

Especially the courts....pretty one-dimensional...per the Queen of Cups just being the newly pregnant mother. And an emotional drama queen. Much more complex attributes to the Q of Cups. But again, these cards are a joy to use intuitively, I just wish the book delved more (much more) into the symbols used and related card definitions. I am for sure getting the workbook,from the scanned pages online and the description and reviews....it looks like the workbook is much more detailed and relevant as well as simply explaining the card sequence.

These images and the whole concept is a masterpiece in my opinion and I am very glad I own a copy....it will be a life-long treasured deck for me. There is a richness, primal depth and singing beauty there.

The only complaints I have about the cards are 2...one is the back, it's just jarring compared to the images in the deck. The other complaint is that within only 2 days of getting and using the deck the sides were already chipped and frayed...looked like some decks I've had for years!

I'm glad you are really connecting and loving your Maat, it's a really unique and special deck!

Miss 6

firefrost

I sold mine to a fellow TABI-er because it was just far too big for my child-sized hands. I don't think the glossy finish helps when shuffling, either.

I got the Maat workbook with the smaller cards (large stamp size) and basically, it's sat on the shelf waiting for me to decide to study it.

wytchwood

Marion said:
This has been asked before. At one point she posted this:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1198720&postcount=35

Oops! I didn't realize that in this digital age new plates would have to be paid for!! I do hope I haven't upset her, she seems sometimes very defensive, no doubt because of the blood sweat and tears that have gone into her work. Like a lot of people, when I casually asked about a smaller size, I did so without knowledge of any huge expenditure which it my require, or any debts the artist may have incurred in the making of the deck, but merely with a wish to use this wonderful deck in a more casual way (take out, use in limited space etc.) rather than just for special readings. I think the huge amount of interest among Maat owners for a second smaller copy is a credit to Julie CW whether or not she intends to print one.

Zoe xx

wytchwood

Thanks Sulis, I'll take a butchers.

Zoe xx