Magi Astrology?

Lee

To be more specific, the site seems to talk mainly about matters related to romance. Apparently signs, houses and aspects aren't considered, and instead focus is given to aspect patterns and declinations. I guess one question I have is, would the resulting chart offer the same kind of psychological depth as other kinds of astrology do?

-- Lee

dadsnook2000

An opinion

The Magi Astrology group appears to me to be a combination of 1) marketing hype and 2) the application of some extensive research that is not currently mainstream. This is not bad! It may be good.

That said, you are right in that declination analysis is a big part of what they do. Secondly, they have put together from their research some "patterns" which they seem to promote as being close to what I would call "imperitives." By this, it would seem that the patterns would generally mean that a prediction fitting their research would be highly likely to be expressed. If true, this would raise their practice of astrology to a very dependable and precise level.

I would point out that declinations have been know about for a long time, that they tend to change slowly (for the most part) and would probably have to be treated similar to aspect patterns of the outer planets in terms of their orbs, timing and individual impact. They would probably be most expressful when combined with personal chart factors such as Sun, Moon, ASC and MC angles, etc. I haven't noticed much in the way of fantastic results by astrologers anywhere in terms of using declinations EXCEPT in one related area. Planets that rise/culminate/set at the same time relative to our horizion and place on earth often express themselves with great force as conjunction or squares might.

The Siderealists (Fagan, Bradley and others) noticed this often in their work although the technique is not "sidereal" in its being an exclusive technique.
Dave.

Astraea

Hi, Lee. Magi Astrology works well -- I experimented with it for a couple of years and invested in their software. But Dave is correct about the hype angle, too. I joined the society and was supposed to receive lessons through the mail and discounts on software upgrades, none of which happened. I never heard from them again. Repeated e-mails went unanswered. They have a couple of books out that are intriguing, but which mainly serve to advertise their wares. I also have some doubts about their origins in the misty past within the bosom of the Shaolin priesthood.

Minderwiz

I came across their website on a couple of occasions when chasing up material for my Astrology courses. As Dave says declination analysis is nothing new - indeed it's in some ways as old as Astrology - The natural year being the product of the Sun's declination as seen from Earth.

Declination related features, such as Antiscia, were referred to commonly in Traditional Western Astrology and certainly before Magi's claimed date of origin in 1625. That being said declination is an important concept, it is not regularly dealt with in modern Astrology texts, though most Astrology courses deal with it and most Astrology software will give planetary declinations.

It is also worth remembering that declination (North/South) planetary movements are nowhere near as wide as their longitudinal movement - all planets move 360 degrees around the zodiac but the Sun oscillates only between about 23 and a half degrees North and South of the Celestial Equator. As most of the planets lie roughly on the plane of the ecliptic their oscillation is roughly similar - though Pluto is more eccentric than the rest.

Using declinations can be very useful and they are right to criticise two dimensional Astrology, so there is definitely some significance in their work, just remember the previous points about the hype.

Lee

After further examining their site, and after hearing about Astraea's experiences, I must say I'm very skeptical.

I find it very odd that although the site makes reference to a staff, a board of directors, and an unspecified number of astrologers, there is no actual name of anyone listed anywhere on the site. Why the anonymity?

Like Astraea, I'm skeptical about the supposed history of the "society," and I'm also skeptical about the "research" which they claim to have conducted. Now, I haven't read any of their books, but one would think, after all the effort involved in doing that research, they would have provided some documentation of it on their website.

I can't help wondering if this is just one person, who put together a system and then invented a society and some nonexistent research, and who has been marketing it very cleverly.

-- Lee

Astraea

Lee, it is a model of the stereotypical Piscean-Age secret society/private club. The last time I tried to contact them about what was due me was a couple of years ago (following repeated attempts by e-mail) -- there was a phone number, but only for leaving a message and no one returned my call. They never, ever released the name of a single contact person; if one desired a reading, he or she had to leave a name and number on the message line and someone would supposedly call back and set up an appointment (at $250 for a 45-minute consultation). They make sweeping claims for the accuracy of their methods, but nowhere is documentation provided, except in the most general terms. And the software they sold me did calculations, but came with a sheet of paper informing me that I would have to pay extra to actually see a wheel! I'm with you -- where is the membership? Who's on the Board of Directors? Very peculiar.

I went to an astrology conference last year at which one of their members was speaking, but it was during a class by someone I really wanted to hear and I ended up going with the known quantity. Maybe the Magus who spoke that day is indeed the sole member!