Magickal Tarot

Essence of Winter

I picked one of these up recently, the first edition version with just the cards and booklet. It's quite a unique deck with an obvious Thoth influence but also shows its Golden Dawn origins well.

Can anyone who has the version with the book tell me if it is worth getting the set? Is the book a good source of information? There was a set available recently but I had already bought the deck.

It's quite a nice addition to my growing collection of esoteric and Golden Dawn-based Tarot decks. I just need to air it out a bit so that the smell of cigarettes dissipates from the cards.

Barleywine

I picked one of these up recently, the first edition version with just the cards and booklet. It's quite a unique deck with an obvious Thoth influence but also shows its Golden Dawn origins well.

Can anyone who has the version with the book tell me if it is worth getting the set? Is the book a good source of information? There was a set available recently but I had already bought the deck.

It's quite a nice addition to my growing collection of esoteric and Golden Dawn-based Tarot decks. I just need to air it out a bit so that the smell of cigarettes dissipates from the cards.

As I think I mentioned in the thread on useful books, the 192-page companion book by Tony Willis is one I keep on my desk (along with the Book of Thoth, the PKT, Liber T, a couple of Eden Gray's books, Banzhaf's Keywords, and Bill Butler's A Dictionary of the Tarot) and refer to often, even in association with other GD-inspired decks, because it's really easy to find correspondences in and has a three-part approach to the Major Arcana (Moral, Mental and Material) in both "dignified" and "ill-dignified" modes. If you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd go for it.

Le Fanu

The book is great. Get it if you can. It opens up the deck immeasurably.

Essence of Winter

The book is great. Get it if you can. It opens up the deck immeasurably.

Okay, that's good to know. Thanks. I was hoping you would reply as I read your opinions of the deck in other threads when I did a search about this deck and also read your blog. I hope this deck gets reissued at some point soon.

If I get the book 'Magick and the Tarot' by Tony Willis, does that have much the same information or do I specifically need the 'Magickal Tarot Handbook'?

Essence of Winter

As I think I mentioned in the thread on useful books, the 192-page companion book by Tony Willis is one I keep on my desk (along with the Book of Thoth, the PKT, Liber T, a couple of Eden Gray's books, Banzhaf's Keywords, and Bill Butler's A Dictionary of the Tarot) and refer to often, even in association with other GD-inspired decks, because it's really easy to find correspondences in and has a three-part approach to the Major Arcana (Moral, Mental and Material) in both "dignified" and "ill-dignified" modes. If you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd go for it.

I'll certainly try but it commands a fair amount of money although not anything like the Greenwood.

There is one for sale at the moment but the condition of the cards doesn't seem to be very good so I won't make an offer on that one.

Barleywine

Okay, that's good to know. Thanks. I was hoping you would reply as I read your opinions of the deck in other threads when I did a search about this deck and also read your blog. I hope this deck gets reissued at some point soon.

If I get the book 'Magick and the Tarot' by Tony Willis, does that have much the same information or do I specifically need the 'Magickal Tarot Handbook'?

This is the one from the kit. The inside front page does say The Magickal Tarot Handbook. I didn't know there is another one.

Attachments

• Magickal Tarot.jpg
    Magickal Tarot.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 95

gregory

This one. Which is affordable - more than can be said for the other :bugeyed:

Ninjaed - but the abe copy is cheaper :D

Essence of Winter

This one. Which is affordable - more than can be said for the other :bugeyed:

Do you know if it is any good? Maybe it won't be a substitute for the Magickal Tarot Handbook as I hoped but it might be worth looking at nevertheless.

Babalon Jones

I have both books and like them both. They are different from each other.