Making Bags

Vesper

I spent a lot of time making bags this past weekend, and I'm starting to get the hang of it. One thing I can't get: How do you measure in order to get the bag to fit without having to try it, then make alterations?

I started out with fabric that was 5.75 inches wide and about 16 inches long, in two panels, one for the bag and one for the lining. Sometimes this was too small, and I had to add a panel to make it long enough. Sometimes it was way too big, and I had to take it in.

Those of you who can do this sort of thing... How do you take the measurements to get your bag to fit your deck, the first time around?

thanks!

ETA: maybe it's glaringly obvious, but I'm having a hard time with fitting something that has three dimensions: height x width x depth (the deck and sometimes mini-companion book) into something with two dimensions: height x width (the bag.) Any suggestions would help, thx!

Cat*

I'll try and explain what I do. Let's say you want to make a simple drawstring bag into which you want to put a deck lengthwise.

For an exact fit, you need the width of the deck plus the depth plus seam allowances and wiggle room. That will give you the width of the piece of fabric you need to cut out. If you have bigger than tiny hands you'll probably also want to make sure that your hand fits through the opening. Measuring your hand around with the deck between your fingers and dividing that by two gives you the width of the fabric (seam allowances will have to be added).

For the length, you need the length of the deck plus the depth plus seam allowances and wiggle room plus what you need for the drawstring. How much you need for the drawstring part depends on your pattern and where you put the drawstring (right at the top? further down?). You can estimate this by folding the fabric around the deck and holding it close at the top as if by a drawstring. That makes the length of the piece of fabric. The longer (=deeper) your bag is, the wider you may want to make it or your hand may not fit in far enough.

But to be honest: I never calculate the fabric I need by accurate measuring. I just take the deck (it's easier if it's in its snug cardboard box) and fold the fabric around it. I tend to allow for a little more fabric than I think I need because cutting off half an inch is always easier as making do with a too-snug bag. Always add seam allowances.

I also sometimes try the shape and size out with a piece of paper before I cut into the fabric. Just fold it around your deck the way you'd fold the fabric, making sure you have some overlap where edges meet (for seam allowances and wiggle room). If the paper seems right, use that as a pattern for your fabric pieces. If in doubt, leave half an inch as extra room.

Oh, and you could also just use one long piece of fabric for the bag and lining each. Simply fold over the fabric where the bottom of the bag is. The measurement for the length would be 2x length plus 2x depth, plus seam allowances, wiggle room, and what you need for the drawstring part.

Wow, this stuff is hard to explain without pictures or just showing. Hope it still helps! :)

Laura Borealis

I'm the same as Cat* -- I don't do a precise measure, I just place the deck on the fabric and eyeball it. I leave a bit more than necessary for the seam allowance on the theory that I can trim off the extra. I also make my bags on the large side, as I wrap the deck in a scarf before stuffing it into the bag (the scarf acts as extra padding, and I like the ritual of unwrapping and wrapping the deck).

I use these instructions which makes a nice lined bag with all the raw edges hidden.

Vesper

Thanks for the replies! Sometimes I think I get a block in my brain whenever I have to do anything with spacial relationships. It's like I need someone to point out that it's not algebra.

I just took out the last bag I made which turned out well, and a ruler. The deck is 2.75 inches wide, and an inch thick. The bag is 5 inches wide, so... Deck width + depth= 3.75. Add 1.25 inches of wiggle room, and that turned out to be enough to reach in and get out my deck (no scarf). For the height, it was the same: Height of deck + depth = 5.75. Height of the bag (up to the casing) is 7 inches. So I had 1.25 inches of room at the top and the sides.

Second bag, not fitting so well. Turns out it only has .75 inches wiggle room on the sides. Harder to get the deck out without catching it on the top of the bag. Next time I'll know better.

Yippee! I think I can do this!