Making the most of reversed cards

Justatraveler

People who are struggling (or have struggled) with primarily "internal" issues tend to see the source of others' problems as being "internal"; those who are struggling (or have struggled) with primarily "external" issues tend to see the source of others' problems as being "external."

This is why I do not subscribe to any interpretation of reversed cards OTHER THAN that what the card signifies is taking place internally. Sure, it COULD show "blocked or trapped within," but there would have to be more pointing that way for me to interpret it so. To me, reversed cards show what a person is experiencing, what they want to be so...what is taking place in the internal world.

To interpret reversed cards differently is to place the method of discerning "internal" from "external" issues entirely on the reader, which works only when the reader is aptly intuitive and clear on the matter(s) being discussed. With any intuitive method, tarot cards do not provide the entire message, but rather point the way, and to the degree that a reader has preconceptions, prejudgments and/or is ignorant of the matter(s) being addressed, they will distort their intuitive understandings and deliver a message that is (at least) as relevant to themselves as to their client. Fair to say, out of hundreds whom I have met, perhaps FOUR readers were capable of setting themselves aside...and I'm willing to bet that any tarot card readers worth their weight in applesauce to a client, have had the experience of doing a reading on someone whom they were upset with, only to find that the "unreasonable, self-destructive narcissist" --or some similar epithet we save for those...special moments-- was happy, healthy and balanced.

After all, if we already saw everything clearly, we would not need tarot cards.

starrystarrynight

Internal v. External is an interesting way to look at Uprights v. Reversals, and I have seen others who read that way. I don't, but whatever works for you is certainly valid!

Edited to add:

"Unreasonable, self-destructive narcissist" and other clinical or psychological labels or terms have no place in a tarot reading, IMO, unless the reader happens to be a licensed, psychotherapist of some kind. Our job as readers is merely to read the cards...not to give advice or label people. You may find a lot more than just four readers around here who can be objective and detached. Stick around. :)

Hannafate

Heh. It's so true. Our personal opinions of people can color how we read their cards. That's why it is important to be consistent in what you expect from the cards.

If you have decided to read reversals as indications of the internal or external nature of an issue, you can't change your mind after you lay them out, just because your impression of the person doesn't match the reading.

We often get the wrong impression of someone, especially if we first meet them when they are having a bad day.

SuperBall

I do read reversals and I find them to add an immense depth to a reading otherwise done without them. Reversals are some of the most difficult interpretations, because it adds another layer of complexity to the reading. Take for example a reading composed of all uprights. Not only do we have to interpret the card based on the querants situation, but we also have to do this and apply the message clearly while coinciding with its position in the spread ( the 2 of Swords in the position of Past will interpret differently than the same card in the position of Outcome, for example).

Now take a reversal. On top of all of the above, you have to determine what the Rx of the card in question signifies, different from its upright meaning in some respect, while still applying to its position on the spread.

I have run into too many different situation to pidgeon-hole a reversal to signify one thing. I have to think about the situation before I interpret. Is it simply the opposite of the upright meaning? Does it signify something blocked? Many different ways to read a reversal could apply on a situational basis, making them that much harder for me, but I feel that its important to be as acurate as possible, and its only my opinion on the matter.

Seafra

Justatraveler said:
People who are struggling (or have struggled) with primarily "internal" issues tend to see the source of others' problems as being "internal"; those who are struggling (or have struggled) with primarily "external" issues tend to see the source of others' problems as being "external."

Must disagree here. I'm having 'external' problems with a person who is having 'internal' problems atm. The cards represent both of us all too well in my readings.

But if it works for you I'm glad you found your method.