Mantegna Study Group ~ 1. Miser

emmsma

Misero/ Wretch/Pauper
LWB: dignity. Remain dignified even in adversity. Humility.

emmsma

(Had to switch to a real computer!)

I like the expression on his face. He IS dignified. A nice change from the madness of some Fools. Lets me know right from the start that the Mantegna is not just another deck.

This will be a new exploration. Mantegna blazes his own trail.

firecatpickles

If we look at The Miser as one of the vices in Imaging Aristotle, it is synonymous with illiberality or avarice.

This card could be a warning that, while it is a vice to give too little, it is also a vice to give to much. The mean is for us to be generous (7 Doxe), Generosity. I am trying to find the card for profligacy, or giving too much.

I am not sure if I like the "book meaning" the author gives us for Misero, "humility." The translation is "poor" in Italian. It also looks like it could be read as The Fool from standard tarot decks.

At any rate, it certainly lends a new layer of meaning to my tarot card readings whenever the Fool comes up for me again.

emmsma

The Miser doesn't quite fit for me, as the Fool - who I usually associate with a lighter feel. Off on an adventure, not looking before you leap.

Though I do see him looking serene, perhaps accepting of his status, he does seem weighted down by his suffering. He's a very heavy card, for me.