Mars in Virgo v. Leo in Mercury

bibi

If my understanding is correct, don't these 2 positions: Mars in Virgo v. Leo in Mercury contradict eachother somewhat, the Mars in Virgo being exacting and meticulous while the Leo in Mercury is a bit slap-dash and generalising?

With this placement would it depend on the other planets which would override the other? Or do the two together form a balance? In fact, wherever there's a contradiction with planets can we say there is a balance within the person? Or does it signify a leaning towards one one day and the other the next?

Or Is Mercury more about communication and Mars in the Virgo area more about the 'job' at hand and therefore a slightly different category?

questions, questions! (puff, pant) lol
:D Bibi x

dadsnook2000

Apples & Oranges

Mercury is the mind and its method of processing information and perceptions. Leo suggests that flash, dazzle, the big themes of life and the pleasing experiences are given precedent in terms of recognition, memory and filtering of other information.

Mars is our expressive energy and approach to grabbing life by the throat and manipulating things. In Virgo, Mars has a degree of precision and specificity to it -- things are arranged a certain way, Mars is applied with a set style or for specific purposes.

Taking only these two factors, you might tend to manage and arrange grand events, to make an impression on others, to develop "set-piece" situations in which to operate and assure self-recognition and display of style. There are a lot of ways these energies can be expressed and I'm sure that the many other factors in your chart and in your living experience will modify this approach to life. Dave.

mint wisp

lol @apples and oranges

wizzle

essence versus style

I think, from your question, that you are confusing the function of planets and signs when combined. Dad posted a fine explanation, but I'll take another whack because we all learn differently.

Planets are our basic units of energy in life. They are what we need and do and we all have the same basic needs. Mars is the energy of defending ourselves, getting what we want (as dad says), agression, exercise yadda yadda.

The sign where Mars lands is How or in What Style we go about satisfying this need. Mars in Virgo isn't so likely to strut his stuff, but he could be the mild mannered guy you find out has a black belt in martial arts, which takes time and discipline as a craft (Virgo). If the guy with Mars in Virgo is an exec, he'll expect those around him to organized and on time for meetings. Mars, after all, imposes himself on others.

Mercury is the need/urge to communicate, think, etc. Leo provides an expansive or warm style to mercury's communication producing perhaps a blowhard or perhaps a colorful persuader. Never mind the details, though. If a writer had this combo, he'd be very likely to identify with his hero/book or to write an autobiography. And I'd expect it to be an entertaining book. A writer with mercury in Saturn, on the other hand could produce an incredibly well researched tome that puts everyone to sleep. But you'd get a lot of stuff for your money.

In one of my books (forgot which) the author describes a demonstration of mars in action for his class of students. He opened a big box of candy and invited them to take what they wanted. Some strode right up and plucked a piece looking neither right nor left (mars in Leo maybe?), others smiled, sidled around politely, inspected the candy carefully before selecting a piece (in Virgo or Libra). Some stayed by the box and took a couple of pieces (in Taurus?). Everyone got their candy (WHAT they wanted) but they exhibited this need differently (how/style).

You can make up some stories for yourself along these lines. Take an function of a planet (say the exercise part of mars' energy), then add the how (sign) and house (where) for your character. Examples:

1. Mars in Geminii in the 4th house...this guy has a lot of equipment at home (4th house), only some of which he uses and even more video tapes. He switches from one piece of equipment to the other and watches his tapes while talking on the phone (Geminii). He does a lot of reps with light weights.
2. Mars in Sag in the 3rd house ... he's always seen at the (third house) gym (why stay at home when you can show off those pecs?). Not content to talk on the phone, he's telling everyone at the gym his stats, progress, etc (sag). He huffs and puffs a lot while lifting big weights. He may change gyms if there is a Mars in taurus guy with bigger pecs.

bibi

Thanks for you replies dadsnook and wizzle!
:D Bibi x

rcb30872

My Mars in Virgo and my Mercury is in Leo. I really don't know how that translates in to real life. My sun sign is Virgo, so really speaking I should be a perfectionist. The amount of times I have said "aahh, that will have to do" or something like "near enough is good enough" and just things like that in general.

I hope that you find this helpful!! Don't know how

Bec