Mary Greer's Books: Which To Read First?

Alamaris

Tarot For Yourself and 21 Ways To Read a Tarot Card came in the mail yesterday, but I've put off starting either of them because I'm not sure which is the best to start first. I'm nearly a complete newbie when it comes to Tarot, so I'll be starting pretty much from scratch with either.

So, for a beginner, which is the best to read and work through first?

Tarot For Yourself, which seems to be more of a workbook for personal growth, or...

21 Ways, which seems to be more of a systematic method of learning about the cards.

Should I advance my personal growth through the cards first, or learn about the cards themselves before I learn about myself? Advice is appreciated. ;) I'm not looking for a clear-cut answer (since I, to quote the cliche, know all the answers are already within myself) but rather suggestions on the best manuever.

EDIT: Or, as a third option, would it be better to read 78 Degrees of Wisdom (by Rachel Pollack) first? I got it with the other two, and I believe it simply tells the traditional meaning of each card.

IndigoWonders

I really like 21 ways. There's a wonderful study group here on this topic that I love to read thru. I think it really does help you look at cards in many different lights.

Melvis

How about an answer of "Both"? ;) Maybe start with Tarot for Yourself as it is great for creating connections between yourself and your cards. Maybe do a few chapters of that, then a few of 21 Ways. You have been very perceptive about what the books focus on, too! You got it right, from my point of view. So that's why I think you start with T.f.Y. to create that connection, then get to know the cards better in 21 Ways. She does get more into the cards and spreads later in T.f.Y., too, so it's definitely worth the work.

Having attended a couple classes with Ms. Greer I think both books capture her wish for tarot readers to interact more creatively with their decks. Some activities may seem strictly personal, but they do end up creating new ways for you to read for others.

But most of all...have fun! :D

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

OMG...I almost forgot to mention "78 Degrees". Fabulous book! For me, reading that book inspired me to read more about tarot...after which I got "Tarot for Yourself". Go figure!

Open Arms

Definitely start with Tarot for yourself....then move to 21 ways.

78 Degrees is a bit deeper but TFY really binds you to the cards and you learn about soul cards, shadow cards and a lot of the numerology that lies behind it all. Funny the stuff I found out that really HIT when I did TFY.just how my destiny cards and so on really identify with me!

The Hermit turns up constantly (Personality, soul and zodiac cards) as do Pentacles....everywhere!!! I only had one other suit turn up - The King of Swords as my rising sign!!Scary!

Enjoy!

nicki

I haven't got tarot for yourself but have 21 ways and 78 degrees. I've been working through 21 ways here on AT in the study group and it really is a great book and makes you look at the cards from a completley different perspective, throughly recommended, have you thought about joining the study group for 21 ways?

nicki

coyoteblack

I am in the 21 ways study group and I own all 3 books. You might not want to start there. If it where me I would go with Tarot for your self and use 78 degrees for reference of specific cards.

Then when you are done going through all the cards once over go back to 21 ways to get a deeper methodology and still use 78 degrees as a reference .

6 Haunted Days

Yes Tarot for Yourself...great beginning and getting in-tune and connected with your cards.

78 Degrees of Wisdom...wonderful book, can't recommend it enough, many of her insights are invaluable on a lot of the cards. Especially her study and words on Gate Cards.

21 Ways to Read a Card.....Excellent pointed ways to read any card. Frankly I am of the opinion you don't need to do every step, some just didn't work for me, skip the ones you're not "feeling". This book is just jam-packed with amazing tips, charts, ideas, creatve joggers

The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer.....a GREAT overlooked book. She doesn't just cover reversals but upright as well. And her chapters on how and when to read reversals (I don't read with them all the time) are priceless. This one book really opened up my understanding and readings of the cards. The definitions she gives are unique and magical/otherworld.

For those Pesky Court's the best 2 books that made it so understandable for me and made each card in the courts "real" are...Understanding The Tarot Court by Mary K. Greer and Tom Little and Discovering Your Self Through the Tarot: A Jungian Guide to Archetypes and Personality by Rose Gwain, this last book is deceiving in the title and I think gets overlooked. It's ALL about the courts and everything related. Great tests for you to discover your dominant card and other energies working in your life.

*phew* These books above will be amazing for your connection, insights, intuition and your readings!

Most of all have fun :)

Baroli

I think 78 Degrees of Wisdom is Rachel Pollack an equally fine book.

I would suggest Tarot for Yourself, the Book of Reversals, and then 21 ways to Read a Tarot Card. These three books are "must haves" in your Tarot reference library and of course your own journals.

Baroli

Alamaris

Thank you all so much! Based on your advice, I'm going to do "Tarot For Your Self" first, then "21 Ways", then "78 Degrees", and I'll look into those other books that were reccomended when I have a little more money. (Just gotta remember... food before books, food before books...)

Thank you again!

EDIT: I'll take a look at the study group, too. ;) It looks very good.

Starling

I don't know which book you should do first. Frankly all of Mary Greer's books are wonderful. I bought Tarot for Yourself when it first came out when I was doing Tarot at an earlier time. I bought 21 Ways recently and I'm doing the Study Group here now.

I think you need to ask yourself what you need right now, because no one else can tell you which book to do. Do you want to learn the individual cards right now more, or do you want to learn more about yourself now.

I don't know if I would actively work through both books at the same time as one person suggested. I think it might be a bit much. One advantage that you do have is that you can do the 21 Ways study much faster than the original group that did the study did. You could do one step every couple of days if you wanted to and learn quite a bit very quickly and then move on to one of the other books.