Men using the Robin Wood

FraterGrant

I was just wondering if any other guys like the Robin Wood?

Many people I talk to say that the deck is too light and "fairy-ish". But I beg to differ. The suit of swords is quite dark, and only a few of the minors are a little light (the hanged man, wheel of fortune, not to mention the monster penis on the lovers card.)

So, do you or any males you know use the robin wood?

Also, do you know of any men who use what most would call "feminine" decks?

FaerieStorm

I own the Robin Wood deck, but I don't use it very often...it's not because I think it's feminine, it's because there are other decks that I connect with much more. In fact, I don't find the Robin Wood deck feminine at all--it's quite neutral (IMO). As far as other decks are concerned, I usually prefer feminine decks over more "masculine" decks because they are usually more attractive to the eye and emphasize feminine spirituality, which is terribly under-represented in mainstream culture.

Some of the more "feminine" decks I own and use are: The Housewives Tarot, Tarot of Transformation, and the Whimsical Tarot.

Abrac

One of my favorite decks is the della Rocca "soprafino." I ordered it cause I simply love the beautiful images and it's fine artwork. It was only after I'd had it awhile that I started looking at it, all wrapped up in its fancy cover and little ribbon, and I thought to myself, this is a chick deck. LOL But hey, who cares, art is art, it's not gender biased. That's one of the great things about it. If you like it that's all that matters.

Peace

fools_fool

northsea

It's not one of my favorite decks because a few of the cards have really divergent symbolism ... like the Temperance card juggling..., and I don't care for the appearance/portrayal of a few of the cards such as the Hanged Man, the Empress, and the World. I like most of the deck though, which is saying a lot, because there aren't many tarot decks I like. The card backs aren't outstandingly great, but they're better than most.

Draegyn

TaranRavenfrost said:
I was just wondering if any other guys like the Robin Wood?

Many people I talk to say that the deck is too light and "fairy-ish". But I beg to differ. The suit of swords is quite dark,

I personally am not drawn to the Robin Wood tarot. I think the males on the cards do have a more feminine cast than those depicted in other decks. As for being dark, I would say "darkness' is more a characteristic of the feminine, night, yin, moon and other things that bump around in the subconscious dark than things light (as in bright and shiny, not feathery and low in fats).

Masculine is if not less brutal at least more direct. The violence is air brushed with noble purpose rather than shadowed with dark insinuations.

As for The Lovers card I much prefer looking at voluptuous fairies to well endowed men. ;)

tarotbear

I LOVE THE ROBIN WOOD DECK!

I have loved it since I first bought 'Tarot Spells' which used the deck for it's illustrations but the deck was still unavailable to the public. I finally was able to obtain one by bartering a wizard robe for the woman who ran the bookstore against a deck. I do own two of them; one for Tarot use and one for spell work. I met Robin Wood twice and had her sign a deck for me (she is a wonderful lady) and I also own copy #62 of the first 500 of her book printed by being in the right place at the right time.

I use her deck for all my personal tarot work, and my three Life cards hanging on the wall are enlargements of the Magician, Wheel, and Sun cards from the Wood deck.

Enough said? :smoker: