My unknown Thoth arrived..it's different

redflash

I got it cheap on ebay, used, & there wasn't much detail in the listing. I could see it had a white box & the listing said it had the 3 different versions of the magus card but that was about it.

It looked different to my other Thoths, so I compared them & the colours on this one are darker & sharper. It makes my other ones look a bit washed out !

Just over a month ago I hated this deck, had hated it for years in fact. Now I have 4 copies of it & am making my way through the DuQuette book & looking forward to reading Crowleys own B.O.T.

*is not obsessed*

redflash

I've just noticed that the OTO card & the unicursal hexagram card aren't there. Oh well, don't need them anyway.

The extra versions of the magus are errrrrr interesting lol.

I'm quite pleased with this copy. Will give it a good sage smudging tomorrow.

Lillie

Hi.

It sounds well nice.

I have to admit that I do not have a single deck with the three magus's in! So you are one up on me with that.

I think there are many slight variations of colour depth. I suppose every time they print a new batch the colours would get mixed slightly differently.
It's the same with cars and car paint. You have to know the batch number as well as the model.

Those white OTO boxes are the nicest (and the old white OTO boxes) Much nicer than the blure or the 2 discs style. So much more occulty looking!.

If you have the magus's then you won't have the hexand the OTO. These were two differnt ways of using up the 2 extra card spaces on the 8x10 matrix. So it's one or the other, never both!

It sounds like a nice little deck. You did well there!

Jewel

I have the regular sized Thoth with the 3 Magus so I will look at the box and get you the details. I think the front of the box was white with the Universe card on the front.

As for the deck with the Unicursal Hexagram is in the large Thoth deck by AGM Mueller (not the washed out green bordered version).

I am just starting to study this deck after having it for years. I primarily like Thoth based decks so it is about time that I got the "real McCoy". It promises to be a wonderful experience. I just started the Milo DuQuette book and am really enjoying it so far. Like you I will then be moving on to the BOT.

Lillie

Actually, the green borderd decks always have the hexagram. In it's original red and black design.

Current large decks by USG seem to have a rainbow version with a white border. Not sure about the blue box ones.

Not all green decks are faded and washed out. Only some.

Not all decks with the red and black hex are green.

There are so many little variations in these cards. So many different publishers and sizes.

jackdaw*

I have a greeny with the red/black UCH. It's nice. Not really brilliantly green, and just in the borders. So some really nice green borders and the images themselves are unaffected. I think the green makes the main pictures look better.

But maybe that's just me, I like green.

Jewel

Lillie said:
Actually, the green borderd decks always have the hexagram. In it's original red and black design.

Current large decks by USG seem to have a rainbow version with a white border. Not sure about the blue box ones.

The AGM Mueller deck has the the rainbow colored hexagram with the white border as well.

Lillie

Ah! The blue box has the rainbow hex too!
Nice!

They used to do the three magus's, but I think they stopped that, and only the smaller ones have it now.

QoP. It sounds like your greenie is very nice. Green, but not too green.
It's very variable, apparently.
Must have been different printings, I suppose.

jackdaw*

I like it too. It's funny, isn't it, the myriad differences there can be in this deck?

Voron

I had the Swiss Meuller version first, and fell in love with it. It was my second. It got stolen, and when I replaced it with the lavender-box Belgium one, I was heartbroken. I couldn't use it. Still can't. It's pale and greenish. (I stil have my original extra 2 magus cards to compare) I'm afraid to buy another new. I need to get off my butt and get a proper one off of ebay.