My Victorian Flower Oracle has measles !

ana luisa

I am severly bummed :mad: I picked my Victorian Flower Oracle to read after a long hiatus and lo and behold , it has spots !! I never eat or handle my decks with soiled hands or leave them outside the box when not being used. They all have a special place in my wardrobe so neither child nor dog can reach them. So what could those be? Aging spots ? Has anyone ever had this problem ? Can it be fixed ? HELP!

AJ

Eeuu..are the decks in plastic bins? Gregory mentioned a problem with condensation discoloring her deck/decks at one time when they didn't have any air circulation.

I'd certainly pull all the decks and check them for damage.
If they aren't in plastic does the cupboard back a bathroom? There may be a leak.

Gulliver

I think that could be mould stains.

ana luisa

I think what the deck has is what's called foxing stains. We get those A LOT in my country and I believe it has to do with the absurdly humid weather. No, the wardrobe is not close to the bathroom and yes, there is ventilation. I am not very good at closing doors so it is usually pretty much open. Here's what they look like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxing

I just wonder whether there's a way to "clean" them or avoid having further ones...

AJ

After I commented this morning I realized that Rio is indeed a city with high humidity.
You need some desiccant stored with your paper goods. Here, tiny ones come in every medicine bottle, and you can buy it by the pound for drying flowers...

I sincerely hope the rest of your decks are all right.

Padma

you could always store them for a short time in a paper bag with rice - that will draw out the humidity...

missy

ana luisa, I am so sorry to hear about your lovely deck!

Being an amateur book collector, I am familiar with foxing.

I do not know of any way to remove it, but I have never attempted to.

I agree with the suggestions about using desiccant. And keep the decks stored away from high humidity if possible.

:heart:

Dan S

Does anyone living in a dry climate have this problem? I store some of my unused decks in the bubble wrap they were sent in. I haven't seen a problem....yet