New at tarot, and interpretating it.

theunseen

I have done many spreads for myself, (only a few for others considering no one in my family approves of it) but I dont understand the actual meanings of the cards. Well, the full meanings of the cards.. I dont know. Ive been doing alot of research, getting all the info on tarot, but I still dont really understand what the cards say. The book that came with the deck I have has very short descriptions, and only relate each card to one meaning. I asume, each card has more than one meaning, and I would love to be able to fully interperate each card.

Im not asking for the meanings of each individual card, there are many sites on the internet that have them, I need to learn how to interperate them. So, if Im not asking to much, could some one share with me how they became familiar with their cards? And how long it took so Im ready for the long road befor me.

Thank you in advance! :)

Emily

goddesscarlie

Hi Emily, Welcome!

I recommend you go to this thread:-

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15119

It is a table of contents for reading the cards. If you scroll down quite a bit there are some good threads there, including others just like this one - "advice for beginners' and 'learning the cards' for example in post #6.

As for individual stories, well, I'm still learning, but I guess the way I started was to read the book. I was lucky, my deck came with a proper book with a double page for each card, explaining the symbolism in the cards as well as meanings for them.

As I developed, and I guess this is the stage I'm up to, I 'know' most of the card meanings, but for the most part I 'guess'. Lol, it is called intuition, but sometimes I have to say it still feels like guessing! I am learning to trust myself more, because I'm usually right. I look at the cards and try and think of what they are telling me. Sometimes, to be honest, I think I confuse the book meanings on cards, get them mixed up, but that hasn't seemed to matter yet. WHat I look for in the cards is what I interpret the situation to be happening, as well as the expression on the people's faces. The expression is what usually gives me a clue to how the card should be interpreted - is the person happy, sad, excited, no emotion? Then the expression to how it relates to the card - there may be some kind of stuggle going on, but the main person looks happy, so the meaning to me is that the person is enjoying a bit of conflict, or maybe the person needs to lighten up about the conflict and see the positive side, etc.

I also for the moment add in what I interpret the suits to mean - as in wands are creative energy, cups are emotions.

I guess I make a story out of the card and the elements, and this is how I read. Other people do it different ways, but this way works for me.

I also note if something stands out - a colour, a shape, an animal. If these things are drawing your eyes then they are probably important.

As for how long before I became familiar? Not too long I guess. I started at the end of 2004, and I practised alot, I think I was fairly familiar in a month or two later. I've had periods where i haven't touched my cards for months, but when I pick them up again I can read with them just fine. I practised alot in the second half of last year and I think that is when I finally started to 'read' not just half read the cards, half read the books.

And now, a year and a half since I began, I really feel more confident with myself and my reading. I think that is a big battle for some people - trusting yourself and your intuition. :)

Hope that has helped a bit. Good luck!

Dulcimer

Hi theunseen, welcome to the show!
We all started as you have - you are not alone.
Generally speaking the booklets that come with the decks aren't worth the bother. Though there are exceptions I am told.
Learning to read the cards is for most of us a combination of books and experience; book learning is done to give you a broad idea of their meanings - be warned though, there are thousands out there and each one takes a different view. If I were you I'd start with a book dedicated to the deck you are using. There will always be at least one. If you have a deck like the Rider-Waite-Smith (on your wish list) there will be hundreds! If there are many books just pick ONE for now. Too many books can be very confusing for a beginner. Get to know the cards with the book but DON'T learn them by rote! This is very important. Reading the cards is all about intuition (what the cards 'say' to you) and instinct (gained by experience). Think of books as 'direction finders' for the cards; giving you a sense of the general direction to a card's meaning. But it isn't the last word.

Intuition is helped by studying the cards themselves. Look at the symbols; what do they mean to you? Play with the cards; combine a few and make up stories without looking at the book (there is no right or wrong, you are just getting a feel for them). You are establishing a rapport with the cards.

Instinct comes with experience. In my opinion gaining experience is the single most important way of learning the 'meaning' of the cards. If you were to read every book and learn every possible meaning of every card you would still be unable to read tarot cards. That's because you wouldn't, as you so rightly say, "understand what the cards say".

To understand them you must use them - they only work by being used. That means using every opportunity to read them. Read them for your unbelieving family - know how that is - but make it a game for them (there are actually Tarot games out there), that way you'll become familiar with the cards. Read for your friends (word will soon get around) but keep it light-hearted. No need to get serious at this stage. Try to rely on your feelings when you read them. Do not refer to the book as you read them, just let your intuition and instincts talk to you. You'll be surprised! By all means take a look at the books afterwards to see how your interpretation compares. But if they differ, and they probably will, don't tell yourself you're wrong, because you're probably not. And if you are? Never mind. You're learning. You'll soon learn to get a feel for when your off track.
It takes time. Just relax and enjoy.
And we're always here for you.
Hope it helps.

Good luck! :)

SilverCloudedWolf

I had the same problem as you, I had some information books and read them but they didn't really help me learn how to read. Then one day I read a media section in a magazine that contained a review for Theresa Michelsens' "The complete tarot reader" and it had a good review so i hunted around for a few more reviews and it all sounded good so I bought it. it doesn't give the meanings and tell you to learn them but helps you develop your own relationship and meanings with the cards.

Have fun with your tarot journey!!

Silver

Bad_Calvin

The books are sort of helpful, and online information is sort of helpful.

I would recomend that you take advantage of anything you can get your hands on.

what I have been done to really help is take classes with an experienced reader. That option is not available to everyone though. If you don't have this option try doing a simple spread.

I like the 3 card spreads, but I find the Celtic Horseshoe to be a great learning spread.

The Celtic Horseshoe can be found here.
http://handel.pacific.net.sg/~mun_hon/tarot/horshoe.htm

Print that page off and practice with it.

Post your spread here in the forums with your best guess on the reading and the deck you are using. Some folks may give you some insight on the reading and help you look at it from a different perspective. This will help you learn as well.

Keeping a journal is always helpful as well, to write the meanings of the cards helps remember.

Also, I have meditated on cards. That is where you pick a card and just stare at the picture, and then close your eyes and imagine yourself inside the card, and it's meanings. Look around the scenery of the card with your mind, and look for a guide. They will give you something to remember the card by (a gift).

The cards I have meditated on I have never forgot their meanings, and I actually "feel" them more then other cards.

I know it all may seem a bit corny or "wierd" but those are things that help.

theunseen

Thank you all!

Its so much to take in, especially the fact that trusting intuition plays a big part in it, and actually so far thats what Ive been doing. Considering my resources arent that great I just take the basic information I know and see how that plays into my situation. But I don't really like doing my own readings, I allready know most of the things about me, so I find that my readings for other people are usualy more acurate.

I dont think meditating would work for me though. I can't really meditate at all. Sitting still for more than 3 mintues is hard enough (Ive gotten up about 4 times just trying to write this) for me. Im not spastic, just impatient. Though I have found that I can sit down with my cards for hours on end. Sorting them by Major Arcana, Minor Arcana, then Pentacles, Rods, Cups and Swords, then King to Ace, shuffle them, and do it again. Laying them out randomly and studying the pictures, etc. But clearing my mind is far from possable, I have tried though.

Though I haven't replied to all of your posts, I am taking your information to heart, and want you all to know its very, very appriciated. I dont really stick to one thing for long. I tried learning how to play the guitar, that lasted two lessons, I tried studying astral projection because I thought it was interesting, that lasted a week, I tried to play flute, that only lasted the long standing year that it did cause I couldnt drop band. But I am proud to say tarot cards are just interesting enough for me to actually learn, and Im trying harder and learning more about them than ALOT of the things my inattentive mind had attempted.

Emily.

TenOfSwords

If structuring things like you do with the deck is a natural way for you to focus and center mentally, I think you'd have great benefit from digging into the numerology side of things (good resources for it in the various forums here) as well as other abstract frameworks (elemental attributions, astrological correspondance etc.). Tree of life sounds well suited in that regard as well.

Lain_82

theunseen said:
I dont think meditating would work for me though. I can't really meditate at all. Sitting still for more than 3 mintues is hard enough (Ive gotten up about 4 times just trying to write this) for me. Im not spastic, just impatient. Though I have found that I can sit down with my cards for hours on end. Sorting them by Major Arcana, Minor Arcana, then Pentacles, Rods, Cups and Swords, then King to Ace, shuffle them, and do it again. Laying them out randomly and studying the pictures, etc. But clearing my mind is far from possable, I have tried though.

Emily.

hello Emily!!

I started learning Tarot about 5 months ago and I know what you mean... I can't focus on one thing for too long either, I usually get up and try to do everything at the same time.

What I've found trully helpfull to get familiar with card's meanings is to pull one card every morning and think about it, perhaps later relate its meaning to the events of that day. Also I practice doing 3 card readings, and lately I've been trying to make a journal with some readings and aspects I find interesting, like numerology. Besides I'm taking each card and writing down my impressions. Nothing fancy, just some simple thoughts I get when I look at them.

Here's a thread I think you'll like: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10772

hope it helps!!