Nine of Cups- is that a he or she?

Girl Archer

this card, the 9 of C popped in the 'who will make the choice?' position in a 13 carder relationship choices spread. So um, I am trying to figure the answer to that one out. Is it a guy because the nine of cups shows a smug guy guarding his trophies/cups? But then cups = water element which is essentially girl yeah? Except if you have like a knight or king..in which case it is pretty clear that card is a guy! For example, in my Halloween tarot deck, you can totally see that the Page of Wands is a woman. Likewise with the Knight. It is either that, or he is a real pretty boy! :laugh:

so which one of us will be making the decision? Me or Him?

Sulis

The querant will make the choice but only when they are happy within themselves.

Girl Archer

Thanks Sulis. In a way, that does clear it up a bit and raises a couple of questions too :)

Richard

......But then cups = water element which is essentially girl yeah?......
No. Masculine and feminine do not generally refer to physical gender. Masculine is fire, air, active, projective. Feminine is water, earth, passive, receptive. These characteristics do not differentiate between men and women (traditional gender roles notwithstanding).

tarotbear

Appearent it's the Querent ...

The figure in the 9 of Cups is usually considered to be the Querent, be they animal, vegetable, or mineral, male, female, or neuter ....

Girl Archer

Thank you Richard and tarotbear, for the clarification. So apparently, it might be up to me. Wow.

SunChariot

this card, the 9 of C popped in the 'who will make the choice?' position in a 13 carder relationship choices spread. So um, I am trying to figure the answer to that one out. Is it a guy because the nine of cups shows a smug guy guarding his trophies/cups? But then cups = water element which is essentially girl yeah? Except if you have like a knight or king..in which case it is pretty clear that card is a guy! For example, in my Halloween tarot deck, you can totally see that the Page of Wands is a woman. Likewise with the Knight. It is either that, or he is a real pretty boy! :laugh:

I don't use teh cards that way, to represent gender. Any card can represent either for me. BUT if I want to know which of two people the card is talking about, as in who will make the choice. I designate upright cards to represent one(usually me when I am one of the two people) and reversed cards to represent the others. To me that makes things clear for me. No guesswork.

Babs

SA12

*You* will make a choice ;) 9 of Cups is usually a card of gratification for the querent (aka as the "wish card"), so don't worry about gender. If all systems are go, based on the other cards, you will be soon be feeling like the smug, satisfied happy guy in the 9 of Cups; choose wisely and be careful what you wish for...

Girl Archer

*You* will make a choice ;) 9 of Cups is usually a card of gratification for the querent (aka as the "wish card"), so don't worry about gender. If all systems are go, based on the other cards, you will be soon be feeling like the smug, satisfied happy guy in the 9 of Cups; choose wisely and be careful what you wish for...

Gee, thanks SA! :) I certainly hope I will choose the right thing, and not just the easy, short term thing. I am kinda (in)famous for making stupid decisions all my life, especially when pertaining to romances :laugh:

I don't use teh cards that way, to represent gender. Any card can represent either for me. BUT if I want to know which of two people the card is talking about, as in who will make the choice. I designate upright cards to represent one(usually me when I am one of the two people) and reversed cards to represent the others. To me that makes things clear for me. No guesswork.

Babs

That is a great method. Except, it wouldn't work for me since I don't use reversals that much really, but maybe I will give it a try. Thank you Babs!