No such thing as truly archival lamination

SphinYote

Just an FYI, as I've seen a great many threads on lamination lately.

I didn't want this post to get lost in the shuffle.

There are some laminates that are advertised as archival, but there is no such thing as truly archival laminate. It might last longer than traditional lamination and not discolor as quickly, but it will affect the deck from a chemical standpoint and will cause faster deterioration down the line than just leaving the deck out.

If your intention is to actually use the deck, it might add firmness and stability for a longer use period, and this is a good thing in this instance.

However, if your intent is to keep it as a collector's item, don't do it.

While I work in digital imaging, I have also worked in a frame shop and have been working with the conservationists at our university regarding the art collection we're curently scanning, and they are endlessly frustrated with laminated items as they are impossible to repair from an archival standpoint and they will discolor and deteriorate faster in the long run than had they just been left alone.

Granted, I don't know if there are any decks in existence that are truly archival, published on acid or lignin free or cardstock, possibly self-published, decks. But adding new chemicals to old is never a good combination from a long term archival standpoint.

We always warned people who brought stuff to be laminated in the frameshop that it would permanently reduce the collector's value at a minimum and depending on the chemicals in the original product or art object they wanted laminated, could irreparably damage the item.

CCL