Old and used

thinbuddha

I finally figured out what it is that attracts me to the old TdM tarot decks. I specifically like the old decks more than the new renditions. As much as I enjoy seeing the work of Flornoy and others who clean up the image found on old decks, to me they lack the character of the original versions with printing errors, clumsy coloring, and hundreds of years of damage and discoloring.

I recently made this versions of Thror's map from "The Hobbit". I started out with a crisp sheet of cream colored parchment, and went to town with ink, watercolors, tea and my hands to create a map that looks like it has been handled roughly. As an aside, the map isn't quite done yet.... I plan on adding the moon runes using a special invisible ink that is only visible under special light (it glows under UV light).

I know that it's not technically a tarot deck, but it is something of a dry run for a tarot deck. For the longest time, I've wanted to make a tarot deck using the same methods that I used to make this map. I think it would be outstanding to have a hand made tarot deck of my own making- something to pass on to my son that is actually meaningful because it's something I made, not something bought from a store.

Zephyros

I think that's wonderful!!! The idea of the Moon runes is especially flabbergasting! I've seen people use paper that looks aged, but you can see it isn't, but what you've done here is truly exceptional. I could totally see them using this map on the trip.

Ahem, if I may put my fanboy aside for a moment... I agree with what you said about the decks. I don't have a TdM yet, since when I decided I wanted one, money became scarce, but I will want to have a deck that looks old, not a retouched, remade one. I don't remember which one of the decks it was that caught my eye, I looked through many on Aeclectic, but it was definitely a reprint of an old one, not a remade deck.

nicky

I really like your map - it appeals to me in a 'authentic' way - something clean and shiny would not surely survive that quest :)

I can understand the appeal of the old used look in tarot - one of my favorite decks is the Grand Belline for that reason. In some way used and battered seems more 'real'.

prudence

Ahem, if I may put my fanboy aside for a moment... I agree with what you said about the decks. I don't have a TdM yet, since when I decided I wanted one, money became scarce, but I will want to have a deck that looks old, not a retouched, remade one. I don't remember which one of the decks it was that caught my eye, I looked through many on Aeclectic, but it was definitely a reprint of an old one, not a remade deck.
Check out the Zoni Bologna by il Meneghello.... it looks quite aged. I love mine. Even the texture of it feels ancient. Imo, Thinbuddha used that same aesthetic in making his Payen deck. It looks and feels lovely and ancient. (though you may have a hard time getting a hold of one, Closrapexa)

What a great map, Thinbuddha. It certainly does need to look old and very well used. Nice work.

Lillie

Love the map!

Can I make one small suggestion?

The ink work looks new and fresh. If you could age that a bit too, like wear it away in places, or even smudge it a bit, I think that would add even more age to it.

thinbuddha

Love the map!

Can I make one small suggestion?

The ink work looks new and fresh. If you could age that a bit too, like wear it away in places, or even smudge it a bit, I think that would add even more age to it.

Yeah- I think if I were to redo this, I would use a different color of ink. As it is, this ink does not smudge (the paper has been dripping wet many times since the ink work was done) and I'm not real sure if it's even possible to wear it down physically without grinding deep into the paper. Maybe leaving it in the sun to let the sun do the damage might work to fade the black a little bit...

Lillie

Wow!
That's good ink!!!

It's so nostalgic, seeing that map :)

It's years since I read the hobbit, and it was like seeing an old friend.
You really have done a lovely job.

Wonderfully authentic folds and tears.

HudsonGray

Remember to add some soot marks, you can 'burn' it a little over a candle and smother any embers before they do damage. Some fine grit sandpaper along the edges, and a few folds rubbed with grubby fingers, yep, you can add a lot of 'age' texture easily.