Olive leafs...

yaraluna

I was at the herb store the other day and noticed that they had Olive tree leaves. do any of you use this? and for what? how?

I grew up with an olive tree in my backyard, but i don't remember anyone doing anything with the leaves.

yara

RufusJ

I don't know a lot about olive leaf but I've read that olive leaf extract is good for fighting fungal infections. I've also seen where it helps with hypoglycemia.

Good luck!

rufusj

ravenest

Olive leaf

It's best in a concentrated extract. I drank about 4 bottles (750ml) of the stuff over a 3 month period about 18 months ago. It's GREAT stuff. Good for your heart, full of anti-oxidants and a heap of other stuff.

Here is some info from the company I got it from:

http://www.olea.com.au/product1_1.html

"The History of Olive Leaf Extract

IF YOU HAD entered through the low doorway of a Greek physician's home two millenniums ago, there is a high likelihood that you would have been advised to daily boil some Olea europaea leaves in water and drink the mixture. And the interesting fact is that this herbal mixture could well have healed your present ills and, taken regularly, may have kept you in good health for years.

Two thousand years later, people of the Mediterranean are still drinking olive leaf tea and taking olive leaf extract. If you ask them why, they will tell you with determined faces that it keeps them healthy and that it has kept their families in good health for generations.

It is only in recent years that scientific discoveries have found that these many generations of people over a score of centuries have concrete evidence to back up their claims of better health. The active ingredients in the Olea europaea's foliage are called polyphenolic antioxidants and the reputation they are getting around the world is quite remarkable.

The olive is praised throughout the Christian Bible from Noah’s Ark onwards. Some even refer to the Olea europaea as the "Tree of Life" spoken of in the last book of the Bible - Revelation 22:2.

" ...and the leaves of the tree shall be for the healing of the nations."

The earliest known usage of Olea europaea leaves for medicinal purposes was by the Ancient Egyptians more than four thousand years ago - they even used it to help preserve their mummies for the afterlife! In more modern times, leading American pharmaceutical company, Upjohn, investigated and proved the potency of some of the active compounds to fight a wide range of illnesses."

OOnaOwl

I know it is also used instead of antibiotics to treat infections.

floracove

Checking the HerbMaster CD for olive.
Parts Used

Mrs. Grieve, A Modern Herbal

The oil of the fruit, leaves, bark

Medicinal Action and Uses

The leaves are astringent and antiseptic. Internally, a decoction of 2 handsful boiled in a quart of water until reduced to half a pint has been used in the Levant in obstinate fevers. Both leaves and bark have valuable febrifugal qualities.

The oil is a nourishing demulcent and laxative. Externally, it relieves pruritis, the effects of stings or burns, and is a goodvehicle for liniments. With alcohol it is a good hair-tonic. As a lubricant it is valuable in skin, muscular, joint, kidney and chest complaints, or abdominal chill, typhoid and scarlet fevers, plague and dropsies. Delicate babies absorb its nourishing properties well through the skin. Its value in worms or gall-stones is uncertain.

Internally, it is a laxative and disperser of acids, and a mechanical antidote to irritant poisons. It is often used in enemas. It is the best fat for cooking, and a valuable article of diet for both sick and healthy of all ages. It can easily be taken with milk, orange or lemon juice, etc.

Dosage
As a laxative, 1 to 2 fluid ounces.

So, it looks like olive is useful for several things...

geministar

I think it is really good for the immune system and for the digestive system - for detoxing. You might be able to make tea from the leaves?

yaraluna

ravenest said:
It's best in a concentrated extract. I drank about 4 bottles (750ml) of the stuff over a 3 month period about 18 months ago. It's GREAT stuff. Good for your heart, full of anti-oxidants and a heap of other stuff.

Here is some info from the company I got it from:

http://www.olea.com.au/product1_1.html

"The History of Olive Leaf Extract

IF YOU HAD entered through the low doorway of a Greek physician's home two millenniums ago, there is a high likelihood that you would have been advised to daily boil some Olea europaea leaves in water and drink the mixture. And the interesting fact is that this herbal mixture could well have healed your present ills and, taken regularly, may have kept you in good health for years.

Two thousand years later, people of the Mediterranean are still drinking olive leaf tea and taking olive leaf extract. If you ask them why, they will tell you with determined faces that it keeps them healthy and that it has kept their families in good health for generations.

It is only in recent years that scientific discoveries have found that these many generations of people over a score of centuries have concrete evidence to back up their claims of better health. The active ingredients in the Olea europaea's foliage are called polyphenolic antioxidants and the reputation they are getting around the world is quite remarkable.

The olive is praised throughout the Christian Bible from Noah’s Ark onwards. Some even refer to the Olea europaea as the "Tree of Life" spoken of in the last book of the Bible - Revelation 22:2.

" ...and the leaves of the tree shall be for the healing of the nations."

The earliest known usage of Olea europaea leaves for medicinal purposes was by the Ancient Egyptians more than four thousand years ago - they even used it to help preserve their mummies for the afterlife! In more modern times, leading American pharmaceutical company, Upjohn, investigated and proved the potency of some of the active compounds to fight a wide range of illnesses."

WOW thank you ravenst!!

I found the olive leaves packaged in a health food store, but didn't want to get them until i knew how to use them. I know that brands like Biotherm use olive leaf extract in their skin care and that seems to be the brand that i my skin can handle. it is very gentle.

I wanted to try the tea, but didn't know if there was a different kind of leaves for tea o rnot. this bag i saw has no instructions whatsoever and i am not sure it has the latin name.
I also found some my Herbology Book and it says:

"the leaves are astringent and antiseptic. internally, a decoction o f 2 handsful boiled in a quart of water until reduced to half a pint has been used in the Levant in obstinate fevers.Both leaves and bark have valuable febrifugal qualities."

I'll buy it and let you know

ravenest

The reason I started taking it was I saw a TV special (non-comercial) on it and all these old guys were praising its benefeits. They looked pretty healthy and were working out, so I thought I'd try it.

It also gave a general feeling of ebnergy and well being (probably the action of the anti-oxidents).

I stopped using it becasue I went on to another product which combined ginger, herbs and olive leaf in a ginger punch - even better and VERY tasty.

80% Ginger Punch, 20% pure extracts based on the following. Green tea extract, olive leaf extract, citrus skin extracts, baikal skullcap, Korean ginseng, ginger extract and turmeric extract.

OR

90% Ginger Punch 10% pure extracts based on the following. Olive leaf extract, citrus skin extracts, baikal skullcap, Korean ginseng, ginger extract and turmeric extract.

http://www.drred.com.au/new/gingerpunch.htm