Oracle Deck Enabling

SloughSister

I have searched several different ways and have not yet been able to find an enabling thread for oracle decks. Am I batty? I'm feeling my August purchase ought to be an oracle rather than a tarot deck, and I am leaning heavily towards L'Oracle de la Triade. Few people seem to have it but it practically bellows at me on-line when I go investigate it. Here are a few words from a wordpress blog by Aristede about the deck (I hope a personal blog like this is okay to quote on AT?):

"Oracle of the Triad (Oracle de la Triade) is a contemporary French divination deck based on a synthesis of ancient symbols borrowed from Greco-Roman mythology, ancient Egyptian myth, Judeo-Christian tradition, and Eastern teachings. The arcane imagery of this deck includes elements from Qabalah, Alchemy, Freemasonry, astrology and numerology. As the name suggests, the Oracle of the Triad is based on the ternary principle of creation. The number 3 is a key religious and philosophical symbol. The deck consists of 57 cards (5 + 7 = 12 and 1 + 2 = 3) beginning with card 1 Alpha, and ending with Card 57 Omega."

"This deck is elegant and captivating. Each card features an allegorical image in rich colors and metallic gold accents, set within a narrow black border. Some of the images are minimalist, while others are intricately designed with elaborate symbolism. The deck includes concepts that are common to the French oracle cards using traditional symbols such as The Key, The Pyramid, and The Ship. There are also unique symbols and unique concepts not seen elsewhere."

"The cards measure 2¾” x 4¾,” and each bears a descriptive title in French, and a number indicating its symbolic position in the sequence of the deck. The backs of the cards depict an arcane glyph in metallic gold centered on a beautiful background of mottled indigo blue. The deck includes an instruction booklet in French that provides a brief interpretation of each card, and several unique card layouts. Oracle of the Triad was designed and created by Dominike Duplaa, and was published in France by France Cartes in 1992, and republished by Editions du Gange in 1999."

However, other oracle decks attract me too. These other decks seem to be more well-known and well-used on AT, because they are more well-discussed... so I was hoping for some enabling on Celtic Messages, Guardians of Wisdom, or Self-Care Cards.

AJ

Are you schooled at all in Qabalah, Alchemy, Freemasonry, astrology and numerology? This deck seems really steeped in these systems and since they are pretty specific, it may be difficult to pin it down to specific answers if you don't know the symbols. I can't see reading this deck intuitively.

I love oracles, better than tarot even and more than 100 have passed through my hands on the journey of finding ones I really enjoy.
Much as I love animals, animal decks are closed books to me. I keep the Druid Animal Oracle because it was my first deck ever and I enjoy Will Worthington's art.

I have a couple of celtic/Druidic ones I like to use, but some of these themed ones are designed to sell to a market rather than be truly devoted and learned in the subject.

My focus of learning last year was Runes...endlessly fascinating with not a horribly steep learning curve. I introduced the Runes reading circle here and Barbara has shepherded it superbly, so you always have people to exchange with.

My keeper favorites are listed in my profile, if you have any specific question about them shout out.

Most oracles come with a book, but reading oracles is nothing like reading tarot cards in my opinion, you really are on your own, and no one else can cry right or wrong.

(we can read anything but I think the self-care cards are more aimed at meditation.

SloughSister

Thanks, AJ. I'm wading my way through learning to read. It seems to take finding my own balance, with each deck, between learned and intuitive meanings. So far it seems that until I get a deck in my hand, I can't tell which way that balance will tip. Which goes to say I'm not too entirely worried about the historical purport of the deck creator if I feel a strong pull towards the deck anyway.

I do realize there is *sigh* quite a financial cost to getting a deck into my hand in order to see how I relate to it but I don't know of any cure for that. Thank heavens for shops, people on AT with whom to meet IRL, and the trading threads.

I had Celtic Messages in my hands and couldn't tell if it would just end up being foofy or not. I think you're right that Self-Care cards suit meditation better than reading. And Guardians of Wisdom I'm just plain confused about and questioning - are they a mishmash that would drive me crazy? Would the keywords get in the way? Or would they have that pithy Have We Got A Message For You quality? Thanks for your input.

AJ

If you search my blog for "celtic messages" you can see how that deck worked for me, at least on a daily draw basis.
Keywords on oracle cards are fine with me, as they give me an idea of what the artist was thinking of. Whether I feel that word works for me on any given day is optional. I no longer have it, not because I didn't like it, but because I didn't love it.

The Guardians looks like a dangerous buy me now deck ;)
Solandia titles it a tarot intended for use with uprights and reversals both. The publisher doesn't call it a tarot. I'd like to see the cards in order to see if there is any resemblance to Thoth or RWS system. The suits are renamed if so; Angels, Goddesses, Native Americans and Ancient Asians. A peeve of mine because they aren't searchable on my blog when I want to see a lot of different suit/number specific cards. So a couple of years ago I gave myself permission to ignore oddball suits other than naming them when introducing a deck.

You are right, decks are expensive. I always start my seach here in the trade forum or on ebay. Patience is key :)

SloughSister

Your blog is wonderful! Other people's self-revelations and honesty go a long way towards me continuing to make sure I know where I'm at. And your use of the Celtic Messages deck gave me a *much* better vision as to how they might be used or come across. Thank you very much for directing me to it. I had such a quick time to "feel" the 20 or so decks that cardlady22 was kind enough for me to bring to look at that I really couldn't tell on this one. Now I feel confident that I want it.