oswald wirth

Kaz

i won this book on ebay, anybody know it and has something to say about it? would be interested in your opinions.......tnx :)

THE TAROT OF THE MAGICIANS
A Guide to the Symbolism and Application of the Wirth Tarot Deck by OSWALD WIRTH

Diana

Kaz: This must be the translation of his book "Le Tarot: des Imagiers du Moyen Age". A tremendous book which can open your eyes to new worlds. :)

If it is this book, then you've made an excellent buy. Although I cannot tell you whether the translation is good or not.

Wirth's knowledge was vast. And he shares it with humility and great respect for his readers. I hope you have his deck (although you will see that the publishers have not respected all the details that he mentions, and that is one thing that makes me MAD!!!!!!! :mad: I don't think they bothered to read his book properly.)

(Don't forget he didn't bother about the Minors, so the Minors are an invention of the publishers - a commercial thing, I think, so that the deck is sold more.)

Kaz

diana, yes, its the translation of Le Tarot des Imagiers du Moyen Age, i could get it cheap (i think/hope, 10 usa dollars including shipping to netherlands) so i thought "get it" !
you have the french edition?
i sure hope this translation is good, otherwise i should have looked for the french one.
when it arrives, that will take weeks i suppose, i guess i will be posting about it in the history section.
i do have the deck :) but i use the majors only.

Cerulean

It's a very nice book...

I have a paperback edition and it duplicates the French anniversary edition with sketches and small interesting details.

He's a great writer and I've heard that he constantly revised and rewrote his work throughout his life.

I hope you post about it.

Mari Hoshizaki

Diana

Kaz said:
when it arrives, that will take weeks i suppose, i guess i will be posting about it in the history section.
i do have the deck :) but i use the majors only.

Although his deck is post 1900, I reckon we can include it in the History section! No point in being too rigid about these things, huh?

And time is ticking on......

Use the minors for bookmarks. Or placemats.

catlin

I bought this book in a German special edition last year but until now I still have had no time to read it and besides there is still the Wirth deck lacking in my collection (fi donc, shame on me) but what I saw in this book has caught my interest and I think you did well in getting it.