Pentacles

Richard

RWS uses pentagrams, but GD uses solar crosses and hexagrams. Just curious as to why, but too tired at this point to research it.

brightcrazystar

They symbolize the same thing to the Second Order,.. The Manifestation of Solar Energy in Malkuth (edit: Correction should read "Solar Energy in Assiah") through the Precedence of the Quintessence.

Crowley's Thoth Deck fearlessly exposes some things which are hoarded in secrecy in RWS deck. The Allusion is 5=6, in RWS, in comparison to 6=5 in Thoth.

Abrac

In his comment for the King of Pentacles, Waite wrote, "The sign of this suit is represented throughout as engraved or blazoned with the pentagram, typifying the correspondence of the four elements in human nature and that by which they may be governed." I believe "that by which they may be governed" refers to mind. The pentagram represents mind (on top) over matter (four points below). In The Devil we see the opposite situation in the reversed pentagram. In his chapter on the pentagram in Transcendental Magic, Lévi wrote, "The Pentagram signifies the domination of the mind over the elements..."

I'm not very familiar with the GD's symbolism in this suit, but the winged cross on the Ace might express a similar idea of mind over matter.

By hexagrams do you mean the King of Pentacles' scepter? I don't really see any other hexagrams unless I'm missing them.

Abrac

In the section of the The Golden Dawn called "Polygons and Polygrams," it says of the hexagram, "It is especially attributable to the Sun. It is a symbol of great strength and power..." I'm sure there's more to it, but its association with the Sun may be one reason for the GD selecting it over the pentagram.

In the same section it says something that sheds light on why Waite may have opted for the pentagram, "It (the pentagram) represents the concentrated force of the Spirit and the four Elements governed by the five letters of the Name of the Restorer of all things Y-H-SH-V-H." Yeheshua is the Hebrew name for Jesus and in the GD represented and kind of "Christ consciousness."

Nick

The pentagram is also a symbol for venus - describes her direct and retrograde motions in relation to her solar orbit I think - and, well, pentacles is a very venusian/taurean suit, so I suppose it makes sense.