Possible Tarot References in Newest MLP

RavenDarkWind

Again, I'm mostly unsure of where to put this, but due to the lightheartedness of the concept, I chose Games & Fun. If you're a fan of My Little Pony and haven't seen the episode, please be aware of spoilers.

As some background, this season's MacGuffin was a box that came out of a tree that needed 6 keys (long story). Twilight Sparkle, newly made princess is moping about her lack of importance. The three other princesses comfort her. Meanwhile, this terrifying centaur thing named Tirek is stealing the magic of other ponies.

At this point, I think I should cut to the chase. Tirek seems to be linked to The Devil, and the Path of A'ayin. In a quick backstory given of him, he is said to have a brother named Scorpan. Scorpan had a role in the earliest series (according to Wikipedia) of kidnapping ponies. Due to the role of carrying things off and the name that sounds like "Scorpio", Scorpan would be Death and the Path of Nun.

Back to the story, Tirek corrupts the newly reformed Spirit of Chaos, Discord (John DeLancie for any Trekkies). As Tirek and Discord go on their rampage of destruction, the three other princesses give Twilight their magic for safeguarding. Twilight's friends are captured, and Discord is betrayed by Tirek. Twilight gives up all of the magic in exchange for her friends, including Discord. Discord gives Twilight a medallion that Tirek had given as a false sign of goodwill, but now as a genuine sign of remorse.

Okay, so now we see that Tirek's role of corruption fits in perfectly with the assigned card. Tirek also forms spheres resembling eyes (A'ayin = Eye) whenever he attacks or steals magic. There's not much else relating to Scorpan, but the medallion vaguely resembles an eagle, the bird associated with Death by the Golden Dawn.

Twilight runs back to the box (see Paragraph 2), and uses the medallion as the final key to unlock it (again, long story). The box opens up, giving the main characters godlike powers (not to mention a gaudy color scheme meant to make parents buy toys). The ponies use a rainbow blast to banish Tirek back to the hellish prison of Tartarus. The ponies then return all the stolen magic, and the eye-burning color scheme disappears. The box then grows into a new castle for Twilight, finally giving her her role as the Princess of Friendship.

The box grew out from beneath the tree, which could be a reference to the Tree of Life. This is given further credence due to the emblems of the Sun and the Moon in the positions of Tiphereth and Yesod, respectively. The faculty of coming together seems to fit in with the card Temperance, and thus the Path of Samekh. Samekh comes between Nun and A'ayin on the Tree of Life, and it is between the Sephirah of the Sun and the Moon. Now would be a good time to mention that two of the other three princesses control the Sun and the Moon (the other one controls love). The rainbow, while unbearably gaudy and saccharine, ties to the Hebrew word Qesheth, which is formed by the three paths attaching to Malkuth. Speaking of Malkuth, the box that forms the castle could be termed a symbol of the Kingdom. It all comes together.

This is all just the product of a kid's TV show on my occult-warped mind. However, I still hope that this wasn't too much of a bore to read. If anyone else here manages to find tarot motifs in My Little Pony, or any other TV show for that matter, feel free to respond.

EDIT: Finally, it's in the right section. Thanks, Mellaenn!

Selkie Lass

As a MLP fan, I find your tarot interpretation for the season finale very interesting. I think that the whole series is representative of Twilight Sparkle's trek through the hero's journey. If I remember correctly, the stained glass window in Celestia and Luna's castle depicts Discord in a similar manner to the Devil card. The same probably goes for the other windows there. If you looked at individual episodes, there's probably tarot references in them.

ravenest

Just a question ... raven dark wind ... (as I find it a rather curious social phenomena , whose implications I am still contemplating )

... are you a 'Bronie' ?

HallowedNight

I haven't seen the specific episode you're talking about yet, but now that I think about it, everyone's journeys to get their Elements of Harmony (especially Twilight's) are a lot like the Fool's Journey. They all go through quite a lot on a regular basis, and, thought I doubt the creator was actually thinking of tarot when she designed the characters and whatnot, it's definitely an intriguing concept. I'd have to do a lot more research before I could draw any specific parallels, but it would most certainly be an interesting search.

((I've always secretly wanted to make an MLP Tarot deck...maybe this is a sign I should get together with someone who can draw and do that, haha~ ))

RavenDarkWind

Just a question ... raven dark wind ... (as I find it a rather curious social phenomena , whose implications I am still contemplating )

... are you a 'Bronie' ?

I am. Being a brony is only a small part of my personality, but I do enjoy the show.

RavenDarkWind

((I've always secretly wanted to make an MLP Tarot deck...maybe this is a sign I should get together with someone who can draw and do that, haha~ ))

I think you'll love this, then.

HallowedNight

I think you'll love this, then.

Ermergerd (illiterate blabbering) I love those! I can't believe I've never seen those before! I wonder if those would ever be for sale... I would totally buy them!

RavenDarkWind

As would I, HallowedNight.