Preparing for a reading

StewsSweety

I am curious as to what others do/use to prepare for a reading as well as what they do to close down afterwards.

For example, pray, meditate, listen to certain music, use candles, incense, crystals?

Thank you :)

vhrsn

preperation for readings

Usually what I do is set an intention, "This reading is for ___. I ask that ___ have a good reading for their highest good of all."
Then I say this as I shuffle my deck, I use the Robin Wood deck. Then I close my eyes and I meditate with my deck. After I feel the time is right I cut the deck once and restack it. Then I turn over the tope cards from the deck (I deal form the top instead of fanning them out) for it's easier for me, but like in all things tarot, do what works for you!
I do my usual interpretation interpreting the cards form my intuition. Next when I'm done, I put the cards I deal back in the deck at random (I keep my deck facedown as I shuffle the cards) for got to add that, hten I reshuffle the deck. As I re-shuffle the deck I thank the universe and clear the deck of all negative energy (this I intend and use that as an intention).
All the best,
Veronica

Sinduction

I do nothing. If I'm feeling particularly drained I fan my hands at my face. I really have no idea why I do that though. :)

Do whatever you feel you need to. I don't need to do anything so I don't. It's all about what works for you.

YDM42

Good question StewsSweet,I'll send you a pm.

Shade

I like to break out the candles, incense, and Vas cd's when at home - about as much for the ambiance as the spiritual benefit. I also like to have one of my favorite ametrine points in my hand when reading - especially for public readings.

Before shuffling, I draw a pentacle with my fingers over the deck and say "Open my eyes that I might see; open my heart that I might understand." If reading in public I often substitute the pentacle sign with just resting my fingertips on the deck... though I probably don't look THAT much less kooky sitting there with my eyes closed and my hands on a tarot deck.

irongoddess

When I'm studying, I usually do minimal preparation -- perhaps light a stick of incense, but mainly I just try to quiet my busy little mind.

When I'm doing a reading for someone, or a serious reading for myself, I like to have my Kuan Yin statue and something to represent each of the four elements. I have some favorite stones that I find helpful in setting a positive, open energy.

Also, when reading for others, I find pleasantly low light (although not too dim!) helps quiet people who might otherwise be prone to nervous chatter. It's also easier on my eyes.

And I like to have some lavender essential oil on hand, since I find it very calming and rejuvenating if the reading turns out to be draining.

Mellifluous

Sometimes I do the elaborate stuff, and sometimes I just pick one out of the pack if I'm on the bus and trying to be discreet or something. It really depends on your mood, location and how much time you have (and your personality, I imagine).

I don't do anything to 'close down afterwards'...

This kind of reminds me of what Jodie Foster said about acting a long time ago. She didn't need a moment to 'come out of it' or anything. She just stopped. ;)