Progressions....

Indigo Rose

Can anyone share how Progressions change or color our charts?This has become a source of interest to me, but also is a bit confusing. I realize that we our natal chart is the blueprint for who we are, but I am having a hard time grasping what the progressions really mean to us. INPUT PLEASE!!
Thanks.
Blessings.

dadsnook2000

Everything is always changing.

The sky, as viewed from Earth, is always changing. At the time that a person is born the sky has a specific configuration which we can later calculate and study -- but, that sky was changing and was different a few minutes later, a few hours later, a few days later. We were born into "change."

Progressions are a symbolic way of looking at that "changing" condition following our birth. In one sense, "progressions" are no different from "transits" except that they have a different time scale. Typically, progressions are based on a "day for a year" time scale rather than being a "day for a day" as transits are.

Progressions are assumed to represent developmental growth of an individual, painting an overall life theme. Since there are many technical approaches to calculating progressions you will need to explore several of the more common methods and evaluate them for yourself. Dave.

Minderwiz

Because of the different time scales used there is a tendency of Astrologers to use progressions of the personal planets, especially the Moon and do little on progressions to outer planets, unless they were very near perfecting an aspect at the time of birth.

This contrasts with Transits, where most emphasis is placed on the Transits of Saturn and the three outer planets and Transits of the Moon are generally ignored.

Probably the most used application of Progressions is using the progressed Moon as a 'timer' of events.

I would stress that the above comments are meant to be general, you will find differences in use between Astrologers and between particular sets of circumstances, even with the same Astrologer.

As Dave says you need to try out some of the methods and see which works well for you.

Indigo Rose

Thanks Dave and Minderwiz. It is a complex subject, but one I intend to study.

Minderwiz

Books that you might find useful are:

Progressions by Robert Blaschke

Secondary Progressions by Nancy Anne Hastings

Predictive Astrology by Christine Shaw.

dadsnook2000

Another overview book

Another good book which covers the whole "prediction" spectrum at a basic level is "Predicting Events With Astrology" by Celeste Teal. She looks at several methods plus the use of transits with those methods to provide a more balanced interpretation.

The book Minderwiz suggested written by Nancy Hastings is a very fine book on Secondary Progressions. I knew her before she passed on and prior to her writing her book. She and Tracy Marks and many others were all active in the Boston, Massachusetts area when I was active with several astrological associations then.

Just remember, each of us jumped into this life at a particular moment in time when we could take in certain potentials and energies, and then use them for our purposes. Change is the condition we were born into. Transits and progressions, among other common methodologies, help us to see those changes prior to, during, and after their manifestation. I personally prefer the other methods of prediction having found that most progression systems don't seem to be as reliable as I wish them to be. Dave.

Minderwiz

Nancy Anne Hastings will indeed be missed in the Astrological community. There's a nice section on her in Lee Lehman's Classical Astrology for Modern Living, that forms something of a tribute to her.