Queen/Reyne of Deniers - Contrasting the Dodal and Conver

jmd

For me, a number of key features characterise this card, whether in the Dodal, the Conver or many others.

One of these is the rounded chair back; another is her facing clearly to one side (in these, the left hand side of the card, we thus have her right side occluded); a third is the Denier (coin) held aloft... and the final, but in my view, important characteristic, is what appears to be a hair-net directly on her head (whether or not she appears 'crowned' - somewhat different to the Besançon appearing further below).

(As usual, the images are also presented adjacent each other on the ATS site.)

dodal_DQ.jpg
<-- Dodal | Conver -->
conver_DQ.jpg

Some of the more striking differences are that whereas the Dodal appears to show the lines of her right foot, this is much more ambiguously omitted in the Conver - and totally missing from the Besançon:

besancon_DQ.jpg

The Coins also depict different numbers of 'petals' of their included 'flower' design. For example, the Dodal has five, the Conver eight, and the Besançon seven (of note is that Hadar appears to have made use of this in his recent deck).

Another key distinction is the manner in which the rather fine sceptre is tipped: the Conver appears to have included a more fleurs-de-lys design, rather than the simpler design on both the Dodal and the Besançon.

Lillie

There is a lot of strange drapery around the lower part of the card.
I assume it is her skirts. But the Dodal and the Bescanon both seem to show a very odd sticky out bit on the left.

The bodice seems to be tight fitting and high waisted on all of them, and a v at the front neck. With sort of drapery at the shoulder and hanging down like open sleeves.

I think that the scepter is odd in the context of these cards (ie. Tarot). As although she is the queen of deniers, and is holding one of them, she is also holding what is really a wand.

The different hats/crowns/headresses are also interesting. As is the hair. On both the Dodal and Conver she has a very high forhead.
I know that at one time (maybe the 1400's) women plucked their foreheads to give this look. Perhaps this is what is being shown here.

Thankyou. As always thes comparisons are fascinating.

Moonbow

She has a masculine appearance in some of the cards and huge hands, especially the one holding the coin.

The only headdress that I can find that compares is that worn by Ann Boleyn and Queen Elizabeth 1. But both of these were 16th Century. I'll post them anyway.

Queen Elizabeth 1

Ann Boleyn