Question on Reversals

Cielo

Since I now have a brand new deck of Thoth, that I find very intruiging, I would like to learn more about how to read with them.....I have always read reversed cards in my readings, but seem to remember that I read somewhere that you don't use reversals with Thoth....is that common practice? Individual preference? I would like to hear what your experts out there think about this....I have searched the forum about this issue and found nothing so if this has been discussed before, I appologize....
Thanks in advance from this enthusiastic Thoth novice......;)

Blessings,

Cielo

Lillie

I have never used reversed cards with the Thoth. and as that is the only deck I have ever used on any long term basis that means I have never used reversed cards, at all.

I believe that when I got my first Thoth pack the LWB said that there were no meanings given for reversed cards because Crowley did not design themlike that. He believed that the 78 meanings contained the whole of life and therefore reversals were not necessary. Also themeaning of the cards are modified by position and proximity to other cards and therefore can be well or ill dignified by that.

Anyhow I read that somewhere, (though I've put it into my own words) And I think it was the LWB, though it might have been elsewhere. It was a long time ago.

I always felt that if cards got reversed in the pack then they tended to stay like that, over a number of seperate readings, and any way, it never felt right, and also you can tell which way up they are by the backs. I don't tend to deal the cards, I spread them out (face down) and pick the ones I am drawn to. So the backs being obviously upright or reversed make it awkward to do this and use reversed meanings.

However, you should do what ever you feel happy and comfortable with, and whatever works for you.

SunChariot

Cielo said:
Since I now have a brand new deck of Thoth, that I find very intruiging, I would like to learn more about how to read with them.....I have always read reversed cards in my readings, but seem to remember that I read somewhere that you don't use reversals with Thoth....is that common practice? Individual preference? I would like to hear what your experts out there think about this....I have searched the forum about this issue and found nothing so if this has been discussed before, I appologize....
Thanks in advance from this enthusiastic Thoth novice......;)

Blessings,

Cielo

Hi you guys,

It's interesting to hear about the Thoth deck as I just ordered mine and it is in the mail. Altough I do not have it yet, I do have 6 other decks and I think one of the main things about Tarot is that there are no rules about things like that. Each of us has to follow his or her own instincts on what feels right. If of makes sense to you and feels right do it, if not don't.

I use reversals in 4 of my decks, but the other two seem to work for me better without it.

My suggestion is to try and do reversals with it. If it doesn't work for you, you will have your answer, and for you you are best not doing them.

For me all a reversal means is that the same energy that would show itself in the upright card is there, but that something is blocking it from expressing itself, and or there will be a delay until it happens. I find them very useful, cause once you learn there is a blockage you can find out what it is and get to work on fixing it.:)

So again, I don't believe in rules like that, that you should or should not do something ever. You have to follow and trust your feelings.. Hope some of this helps.

Bar

Nevada

I don't read reversals with my Thoth, simply because the creator designed them to be used without reversed positions, instead using a system where the card is ill-dignified or well-dignified according to the cards neighboring it in a spread. It doesn't mean the reversed meanings are all thrown out the window. Read the LWB, under "Tarot and Its Applications," right after the Golden Dawn spread and just before the interpretation for 0 The Fool. There's a brief description of how to tell if a card is well-dignified. It has to do with the suits' "friendliness" to one another.

I actually don't follow this, but try to intuit whether the card is well- or ill-dignified by its position meaning.

It's really a personal preference, in my opinion. If you want to read reversals with them, go ahead. Crowley isn't going to come back and haunt you over it. ;)

Nevada

rainwolf

I think it depends on deck. I have some where the back is symmetrical like the RWS, and others with a nice pic on the back like Thoth. If its symmetrical, i use reversals, if i can tell by the back if its reversed or not i just use dignity like crowly wrote about. Either way i think it is revealing; besides, more of the meaning rests on the deck adn its symbology, like the Navigators tarot (which is awesome!) http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/navigators-mystic-sea/ If you want special meanings, buy the deck, not the back of the cards LOL