Reading for others

mahjong

I have only ever done readings for myself ,so my cards have only ever been used for my questions.A friend has asked me to do a reading for her,she knows that I am still learning and rely heavily on books and this web site for meanings.What would be the best way to cleanse my cards?What is best way to approach a reading for my friend(the enquirer) when they are not present and have not shuffled the cards?I thought about taking out a significater;she's aTaurean so the Queen of Pentacles. She has given me three questions..1.will my husband and I move away? 2.will we stay at the shop?(they own a shop) 3.will we sell our house?
I kind of feel that all these questions are linked because if the cards indicate a move that means they would have had to sell their house and would no longer be at the shop.I thought about doing the Celtic Cross.Thought and advice would be appreciated.Thanks

seasong

Hi mahjong, I'm new here too. I've only done a few face to face readings, and I have a hard time reading for myself, so my friends call and give me questions so I can practice.

I usually just do a 3 or 5 card layout, and say something like What can the cards tell me for my friend Mary about moving?

I try to avoid yes/no questions, but I have done that too. Sometimes I just need a quick yes or no.

As for cleansing the cards, I put mine in the sun for a bit, or sage them.

Hope this helps.

MareSaturni

I think 'cleansing' your cards should be your last worry ;). I don't cleanse mine, but that'sme.

I suggest you do the reading with a short spread - three crads preferably, five cards if you are really daring! It's best a well done three card reading than a confusing celtic cross in which you can't make the cards connect.

The 3-cards spread could be the usual "past- present - future" or "body - mind - spirit".

A nice 5-cards spread is the Peladan, but don't use it if you feel more confident with a 3-cards one.

Relax. Your friend know you are just beginning, so allow yourself to enjoy the experience without pressure. Don't hurry - take your time to read each card in the spread. If possible, don't reach for the book, even if you get a blank spot - breathe, see if the card isn't telling you something. If nothing comes, then take the book.

AFter seeing each card individually, try to see how they connect. Just try, but if nothing comes, it's no big deal.

I suggest you start journaling about tarot - you know, get an old notebook and write down your own meaning for the cards and some good spreads. Write down the reading you did too. It's better than any book, and will help you to come with your own meanings to the cards :)

Ahh, have a reading cloth or something if you aren't reading at home...just to keep your cards from being damaged thanks to not-so-clean surfaces, lol :D

And have fun! Reading for others always helps us to learn :)

Grizabella

I don't find that the cards need any cleansing for any reason. If they were to get actual, physical dirt on them, then of course they'd need cleaned but otherwise, not.

Using small spreads is the best. As seasong has said, 3 to 5 cards can give you a lot of information. Others have other opinions, but mine is that it's most helpful to give your positions names so that you can zero in on the information you need more precisely. It's possible to read without positional meanings, but that's a little bit vague for someone new to doing readings.

If you need some ideas for spreads to use, here's an index of spreads you can explore:

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=31867

You should find a lot of interesting and appropriate spreads there. :) If you don't find what you want there, then you can make up your own spreads quite easily, with each position asking about a specific aspect of the matter. It's helpful to write down the spread when you're new. Later, when you're more experienced, it will just be natural to you to work without written prompts. The Celtic Cross is very complicated for a beginner and you can get just as much if not more information from the much smaller spreads.

Rather than a significator, you can use something that belongs to the sitter or even just have them write the question down and put it under your spread cloth or you can write it down. Or just don't worry about a significator at all. That way you don't have one card missing from your deck when you do the reading. :)

Aladdin

I'm with Grizabella on this. The CC can be a big detterant and can even give too much information at any one time.
If you spread four cards in a row this gives a chance for all the elements to appear and may help you towards something approaching a balanced reading.
As to whether you asign any positional meanings for your cards, this must be for your preference on the day. For what this may be worth to you, i no longer work with positional card placings.
Good luck to you.