Reading for third parties...

Demon Goddess

Hi everyone...

Let me start by saying I don't read professionally, although, my Grandmother does. I have been reading tarot forever but have never been in this position before; so, good as place as any to ask.

Recently I did a reading for my step-daughter. I've read for people long distance, over the phone, over the internet, but I've never thrown cards "a l'insu" of someone... meaning, essentially, behind their backs.

Although I don't feel guilty about it, it's the only contact we've had with her in 2 years, I have friends who have essentially gone ballistic over the fact that I did the reading.

Here's my question...

How do you feel about reading for people behind their backs???

If you think it's wrong... what sort of situation might you make an exception for???

T

MercyMe

I don't think it's wrong. :shrug:

~Mercy

ArwenNightstar

Demon Goddess said:
Here's my question...

How do you feel about reading for people behind their backs???

If you think it's wrong... what sort of situation might you make an exception for???

T

I dislike it. I think it is spying. However, I have done it when I felt it necessary. I guess I look at it as a Karma thing. If I am willing to do it, then I can't beeyotch if someone else does it. :)

Sulis

I think it depends on the reason why you're doing the reading.

When my dad was very ill a few years ago I did readings about him, about my mum and about my sister behind their backs.... I don't think that what I did was wrong because there was no malice at all in my motive..
I wanted to know what was going on with my dad, how he was feeling about this - even though he was unconcious. The answers I got from the cards helped me and helped my family to cope with his illness. I felt reassured that he would pull through and I was also reassured that my mum and my sister where coping better than I thought they were.

On the other hand if you're doing a reading because you want to know something about someone that's really none of your business or you intend to use the insights you get from the cards to hurt or 'spy' on folks then I think that would be wrong... every case is different.

Love

Sulis xx

Demon Goddess

I'm sure you're all wondering, but if you've been following snippets of my readings at all. My husband is estranged from his daughter because of a very bizarre personal and business relationship/situation.

He had a meeting for the first time in 2 years with her last night and I was curious what she was going to bring to the table.

I was able to forewarn my husband to be careful in the meeting and was right. She attempted to blackmail him. :(

I agree that reading for people who don't know you're doing it in order to hurt them is wrong; In this case, I think it was ok to read.

Thanks all for the input.

Nadeshda

If it directly affects you or the person you are reading for, I don't think it is wrong, like "why is my son so depressed?", "what are those man's intentions towards me?". Now, if it is just for the sake of finding the skeletons of someone you don't like, or if it is really none of your business, then, I'd say it's wrong.

ArwenNightstar

Demon Goddess said:
I'm sure you're all wondering, but if you've been following snippets of my readings at all. My husband is estranged from his daughter because of a very bizarre personal and business relationship/situation.

He had a meeting for the first time in 2 years with her last night and I was curious what she was going to bring to the table.

I was able to forewarn my husband to be careful in the meeting and was right. She attempted to blackmail him. :(

I agree that reading for people who don't know you're doing it in order to hurt them is wrong; In this case, I think it was ok to read.

Thanks all for the input.

In that case, I don't think it was wrong at all! You were looking out for your husband! I would have done the same thing in a heart beat!

MeeWah

Given the situation & the intent to assist hubby, I would.

I usually approach such a reading as 'What does Person A need to know about Person B/the meeting/the situation/whatever'. Hence, the reading is *for the benefit of* Person A, yet need not be *about* Person B.

Zephyros

I agree with MeeWah. There are limitations on reading for a third party, and you can't always be sure of what comes up, simply because they are not there to affirm or deny anything. However, for a third party I usually come up with what is my place in the issue at hand, or how I can help, or something like that.

Eco74

In that situation, I would have done a reading too.
When done with good intentions, I have no problems with bending the rules a bit. It was in a way a reading for your husband too, since it was about how his meeting with her would go.

I've done some curious readings on people but very rarely and most times to find out how they're doing since I've heard little from them and gotten worried. And it's always been in the context of "is there anything I can do to help", so not completely intrusive or selfish.