Reading non-traditional cards in a largely traditional deck

Richard Pickman

I'm fairly new at this, involved with Tarot for about a year, and am still trying to figure some things out. I get confused when I am looking at a deck where most of the cards are similar to the RWS cards, but then some of them are very different. Should you just totally throw the "traditional" image/meaning of those cards out the window, or keep them in mind when looking at the new/different version/interpretation?

Since the trumps are more standardized than the pips (so it seems to me), is there a difference in how you would answer this question when pertaining to trumps as opposed to pips?

If you would like an example of what I am talking about, I'm having trouble with the Empress in the Secret Tarot. She is indoors (in a castle or something similar); the setting is very austere, even cold. Certainly a far cry from the Empress in the RWS. Also the 5 of pentacles in that deck is very different, plus some others as well.

I know that this is not uncommon; I'm just not sure how to approach it.

Lilija

Well, there are different decks, for a reason. I think this is where intuition comes in. You have a working knowledge of the common, accepted symbolism of the card in general, it's position, etc etc, all the stuff that doesn't have to do with the picture, so that all comes into play. Then the intuition kicks in...study that picture well, especially so, if it's unfamiliar. Take in the symbolism and pictures your chosen deck offers you, and intuitively blend it with your working knowledge of that card, based on it's context.

I love reading with different decks, slightly untraditional ones, just because of that. Each new symbol, color, whatever, on a card just adds to my base of knowledge. Somehow, the few decks I have, blend in my head in a very harmonious manner, and I can mentally call upon the whole library, when reading.

Just my two pence :)

thorhammer

I don't exactly throw the trad meanings out . . . but the predominant meaning comes from the image, for me.

Otherwise, why have more than one deck? ;)

\m/ Kat

VGimlet

My personal take on it is to go with what your gut tells you. Does that mean throwing the traditional meaning out the window? Not always. I think some of my best readings come from times I just blurt out what pops into my mind when I see the cards. Which may not have a single thing to do with a traditional meaning, not even a whiff. Or it might be straight on traditional.

If a reading is filled with trumps, I am more likely to think, "pay attention to this".

2_Journey

I don't think its necessary to throw out the traditional meanings altogether. Often a nontraditional image will actually have a similar meaning to traditional decks, just illustrated in a nontraditional way, or spun in a slightly different way. I like to think about how the nontraditional image relates to the greater meaning of the card.

A good example is the Sorcerer's Tarot by Lo Scarabeo. Check out the scans online. (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sorcerers/)

The 9 of Swords shows a man being overpowered by a huge bug. Not the traditional image, but I think the Sorcerer's card still illustrates allowing your fears get the better of you, and forcing you into a corner (a meaning I associate with the 9 or Swords). Bugs really are small, but if we allow our fear of them to get the better of us, they become unnaturally large in our minds and block us into a corner.

In fact, decks with nontraditional imagery are my favorite types of decks!

(Note: I don't have the Sorcerer's Tarot, though its on my wishlist, so I only have the scans online to go from.)

Mariana

In this case I wouldn't call the Empress a non-traditional card at all: it's the Empress form the TdM tradition. The Secret Tarot, being a European deck, has quite a few TdM influences, e.g. in the Lovers and Sun cards too. Maybe it helps to read a bit on TdM decks?

214red

Hi Richard,
My advice would be 'say as you see' , it was hard for me originally with my first non rws-ish deck the osho zen.finally I had to give up trying to get a square peg fit in a round hole

Good luck
Nikki

Richard Pickman

Mariana said:
In this case I wouldn't call the Empress a non-traditional card at all: it's the Empress form the TdM tradition. The Secret Tarot, being a European deck, has quite a few TdM influences, e.g. in the Lovers and Sun cards too. Maybe it helps to read a bit on TdM decks?

I have over twenty decks; most of them are in the RWS neighborhood, with a few exceptions. So far, in terms of readings, I've mostly been focusing on decks that don't deviate too much from the RWS. However, I'm starting to branch out more lately, so the advice all of you have been giving me is definitely helpful. I do not have a TdM deck, but after reading Mariana's comment I took a look online at the TdM Empress. Now the Empress from the Secret Tarot makes more sense. I think I have some studying to do. Thanks all!

214red

Richard Pickman said:
I have over twenty decks; most of them are in the RWS neighborhood, with a few exceptions. So far, in terms of readings, I've mostly been focusing on decks that don't deviate too much from the RWS. However, I'm starting to branch out more lately, so the advice all of you have been giving me is definitely helpful. I do not have a TdM deck, but after reading Mariana's comment I took a look online at the TdM Empress. Now the Empress from the Secret Tarot makes more sense. I think I have some studying to do. Thanks all!

one of things i find helpful from my tarot circle is that we go through each card (were now on the major arcana after finishing the minor ones) and we compare cards from other decks, this helps you see the card differently. i found it helped for cards like the emperor which i hate, as i saw different variations i could look at it differently, i still dont love it...but i dont hate it either

Alan Ross

Richard Pickman said:
I do not have a TdM deck, but after reading Mariana's comment I took a look online at the TdM Empress. Now the Empress from the Secret Tarot makes more sense.
This is one of the qualities that attracted me to the Secret Tarot, the TdM flavored Majors. A noteworthy indication of this is that Justice and Strength in this deck follow the TdM order, rather than the RWS order. The Minors are mostly RWS based, but there are, as you noticed, a few problematical cards. To me, the Five of Pentacles in this deck is more about vain ambition or unrealistic hopes than it is the material destitution implied by the RWS version. But if you check the study group for this deck, you will find that opinions vary. You can find the index for the group here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26100

Hopefully, it will help you with the difficult cards. You can also post to one of the existing threads or create a new thread if you want to revive the study group.

Alan