Reading the TdM pips as a Three-Act Play

teomat

Inspired by the triangle arrangement of the pips and courts in the 24th post of the thread http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=101507, I’ve been working on a reading system that provides meanings for the pips in the context of a three-act play or drama - but also throwing in some numerology, the ‘fool’s journey’ (or the Valet’s in this case) and considering the TdM pip arrangements as well.

Although this system might work with any non-scenic deck, I think the particular arrangements of the pips and vines in the TdM seem to fit the ‘play’ perfectly. However I’m struggling with how to apply this method to each suit and would welcome any feedback/suggestions.

(Forgive my geeky Star Wars references, but when I thought of the pips as a play, the original SW trilogy immediately sprung to mind!)

ACT I – The Setup

Cards: 1,2,3,4
Court: The Valet

1. The story BEGINS...
2. A meeting or EXCHANGE takes place, which…
3. Develops and GROWS, forming…
4. An initial STABILITY, foundation or basis.

These four cards form the base of the pyramid and ‘set the scene’.

The qualities they exhibit are conveyed in the Valet cards – beginnings, first steps and learning. Story-wise, the Valet is the naïve youth at the start of the adventure. Think Luke Skywalker in the first Star Wars film.

The pip card arrangements seem to convey these meanings too – a third cup/coin/sword/baton emerging from the two ‘players’, forming a stable square.

ACT II – The Confrontation/Challenge

Cards: 5,6,7
Court: The Knight

5. A DISRUPTION occurs, leading to…
6. A SEPARATION, however…
7. A new REVELATION (or turning point) emerges.

These three cards form the second layer of the pyramid, representing the obstacles and troubles that are then encountered (‘The Empire Strikes Back’). Card 7 is the ‘wildcard’, suggesting an unexpected turning point in the drama (‘I am your father!’).

The qualities they exhibit are conveyed in the Knight cards – challenges and difficulties. As Knights are essentially warriors, so these 3 cards illustrate turmoil and conflict. For the Valet, it is the trials and tribulations of adolescence – the low point for our hero.

The fifth cup/coin/sword/baton upsets the balanced square of the 4. The cups in particular suggest a separation, with the central vine dividing the 6 cups into sets of 3. Then, like the disruptive fifth implement, a seventh one appears between the separated groups (perhaps as a mediator or new purpose).

ACT III – The Resolution/Result

Cards: 8,9
Court: The Queen

8. The ‘turning point’ in card 7 leads to a REUNION, which then escalates to
9. A PENULTIMATE moment.

Cards 8 and 9 form the third layer of the pyramid, and represent the reaction to the previous cards – the outcome or result.

In card 8, a reunion takes place following the ‘Revelation’ of card 7. Card 9 is a ‘transition’ card - it represents the 11th hour, the moment before the final scene.

These two cards are reflected in the Queen cards, symbolizing a new found maturity, shaped by the challenges of the previous cards (‘Return of the Jedi’). It’s the ‘coming of age’ for the Valet and he/she emerges as an adult.

The eighth implement restores balance to the pips. The ninth one (in the center of each card, especially in the 9 of Coins) is about to evolve/ascend to perfection (a flower, as seen in the 10 of Coins).

The End

Cards: 10
Court: The King

The Valet is now King - the play ends.

Moonbow

A very unusual use for a non-scenic deck, and an excellent idea too! I imagine this would be a great way to get to know a deck as well, particularly as you can relate the cards to a film/play that you know (like Star Wars).

It would be interesting to hear how your experiment pans out for you.

teomat

Thanks for encouragement Moonbow (and Bernice!). I'm still working on this system, but will try to report back on how it's progressing.

I'm more or less happy with this '3-act play' approach, but I'm still trying to get the suit meanings sorted out. I don't really want to use the Golden Dawn attributions (i.e Batons=Fire, Cups=Water) as I would like to use a pre-GD (and pre-Etteilla) angle.

I might try the four humours approach, but it'll take a while for me to figure them out (but half the fun is working all this stuff out anyway!).

papercut

Interesting. I've been working with my marseilles exclusively, and spending a lot of time with developing my own system for the pips. I love how one can start from a totally different perspective from the GD system. Though it is very daunting.

When you get a chance you should post a sample reading that uses your 3 act structure, it would be interesting to see how it comes together in a reading.