Redefining Oracle Cards

Nightwalker

Has anyone ever tossed the meanings/definitions of an oracle deck out the window and come up with new ones for the cards?

I have the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards and although I love the cards I cannot identify with the meanings/definitions given for them. I'm seriously considering redefining the cards with meanings that I can understand and identify with. Any comments on doing this.

If you have done this how did you come up with the new definitions. Did you go with intuition, use the book definitions as a starting point, or a combination of both?

Nightwalker

jade

i toss all decks meanings and go with intuition. every reading the meaning is different.......it depends on what the cards says to me when i read it and the surrounding cards.

to me, the cards are like the alphabet.......depending which other letters you put with them, changes the word!

love
and light,
jade :)

Nightwalker

Jade,

Thanks for the comparison using the alphabet. Makes a whole lot of sense. I'm just new enough to tarot/oracle cards that I'm still a bit hesitant when it comes to meanings and definitions.

I think that with this deck I will toss the book definitions because they make absolutely no sense to me, which it probably why I've never used them.

Nightwalker

jade

glad to assist :D

in light,
jade :)

ps your intuition won't lead you wrong!

emily2otters

oh, i'm so glad other people do this too!

i'm about to embark on a quest to rewrite all (well, most) of the info in my Medicine Cards book. it's all just too fluffy and new-agey and "have you given yourself a gift lately?" for me... and not particularly representative of the native american folklore it draws from.

i confess i was feeling a mite hesitant... but i'm over that, now. they're my cards, aren't they?

Nightwalker

Well, the work on the Sweat Lodge Cards is going slow but sure. I've been going through them every night one card at a time and if something comes to me i write it down. If my mind comes up blank, (which it does quite often LOL) I just go on to the next card.

I too have the Medicine Cards but they've been sitting in a drawer for several years. Maybe I need to go back and look at them and their definitions again. Could be I might need to re-write the definitions so that they mean something to me.

Nightwalker