Relating actual Kings & Queens to the court cards

Golden Moon

Sorry if this sounds really stupid, but has anyone ever though about this before? relating an actual King & Queen to the Kings & Queens in the Tarot Court with their personality traits & historically?

For example, I have always seen the...

Queen of Pentacles as Elizabeth I (ironically both Queens have an Earth element and sign :D)

Queen of Cups as Princess Diana (had this warm hearted woman lived long enough to be a Queen :()

as for the rest I really don't know... so that's up to you to relate them with each other.

* But in some cases I see Marie Antoinette as one of the Pages.

SkadisPhoenix

King Alfred as the Page of Wands

Playing with fire, learning, and not knowing really what to do, and burning the cakes. :-D

Queen of Wands is more like Queen Elizabeth I to me, such passion and belief, and such STRENGTH as well. Well, thinking about it, she has most of the traits of each Queen! :D

Abrac

There was a well-established tradition of this with early playing cards. The King of Spades was King David, the Jack of Clubs was Lancelot and etc. The names were actually printed on the cards.

I don't ever remember seeing this with tarot cards though, but hey, why not? :)

shaveling

Abrac said:
There was a well-established tradition of this with early playing cards. The King of Spades was King David, the Jack of Clubs was Lancelot and etc. The names were actually printed on the cards.

I don't ever remember seeing this with tarot cards though, but hey, why not? :)
Paul Huson talks about this in his Mystical Origins of the Tarot, and the names appear on the court cards in his deck, Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot. I don't have the deck, but in the book he equates Coins with Clubs and Batons with Diamonds. Some folks do it the other way around, with Batons as Clubs and Coins as Diamonds.

As far as relating the courts to personalities in my own lifetime, I haven't tried that. I'm not sure I really know enough about enough courtly folk to do it in a satisfactory way.

Abrac

Thanks for that link shaveling. I see what you mean, they're even printed right on the cards. How cool is that! :)