Resisting the Queen of Pentacles

Phoenix Morgen

I've been working with Mary K. Greer's book "Tarot For Your Self" for a few weeks. I am currently learning to work with the court cards, and the card that I seem to have a major issue with is the Queen of Pentacles. Everything I've read about her seems to suggest that she is a store-house of loving energies. However, when I work with her in just about any deck, I feel uneasy and as if I'm working with someone that is best avoided. My preferred deck is the Mystic Dreamer Tarot, so I thought that the issue was the woman portrayed in the card may look like someone I know or remind me of someone from my past who acted in ways totally not loving and appreciative. But I get the same feelings when I work with the Queen of Pentacles in other decks.

Is this just me reacting to the Queen of Pentacle's energies? Am I reading the card different from everyone else? Or wrong? Does anyone else feel this way when they work with the Queen of Pentacles?

Thirteen

Too Earthy?

Is this just me reacting to the Queen of Pentacle's energies? Am I reading the card different from everyone else? Or wrong? Does anyone else feel this way when they work with the Queen of Pentacles?
She may remind you, in any deck, of a certain type of woman that you're not comfortable with. On the one hand, she can be an "earth mother" type, practical, the type that gardens, feeds her family huge hearty meals, has a big family that she handles in a pragmatic, down-to-earth manner. She might, likewise, be into ecology, sustainable foods, and health.

However, she can also be an amazing business woman, sharp at running a business and making money, and/or the sort that wants all the fine or rich things. She may be the type who wants to keep up with--and surpass the Joneses, a woman who can't connect with members of her family who aren't materialistic and concerned about appearances as she is.

I think that readers who have difficulty with her likely have difficulty feeling warmth toward a queen who isn't really spiritual, who does live in the here and now and is concerned with this material world. That is very much a part of her even at her best. She isn't going to understand the spiritual, romantic or passionate soul. She is too grounded. Perhaps that is what is rubbing you wrong about her?

PAMUYA

Thirteen nail the Queen of Pentacles for me. I was brought up with her as the Queen of Diamonds (regular playing cards), and this is the feeling(Thirteens post) I have always had about this queen decades before seeing her in tarot cards. Everyone has a bit of all the queens in them, without the Queen of Pentacles we would be "out of balance". Over the decades this Queen has shown up for me as the Grandma who spoils her grandkids rotten, to the other woman(material desires). This queen is of the material world, our delusions of what makes us happy. Real happiness is found within, this queen is about what is found outside of us, the "material girl". Remember we do need our inner Queen of Pentacles, to make sure the job is done, the bills are paid, the house is clean, the kids have shoes, this list goes on and on. Without her the work wouldn't get done.

Phoenix Morgen

Thirteen, I think you may be on to something. Your post put it into perspective that this Queen is a Capricorn (like me), and perhaps my reaction is my own subconscious reactions to seeing this business-minded side of myself in a mirror. It probably also doesn't help that I've been struggling with gaining control over my career path, financial situations, and management situations at work.

Something I may try is to talk directly with this Queen and see what she says. Or to watch her talk with another court card and see what she says and how she acts.

But the one thing I seem to find ironic is when I pull this Queen from the Ludy Lescot tarot, a darker deck than what I usually work with, I feel more drawn to her in the "earth mother" form than I do the others.

nisaba

... and the card that I seem to have a major issue with is the Queen of Pentacles. Everything I've read about her seems to suggest that she is a store-house of loving energies. However, when I work with her in just about any deck, I feel uneasy and as if I'm working with someone that is best avoided.

Do you have body-image issues? Feel too fat or too thin? Do you have a compelling love-hate relationship with food, or with other personal temptations, or with money?

The Queen, who thoroughly and unashamedly enjoys all those things, might be challenging to you for those reasons. I'd recommend working with her more, not less.

JCSeawright

I've been working with Mary K. Greer's book "Tarot For Your Self" for a few weeks. I am currently learning to work with the court cards, and the card that I seem to have a major issue with is the Queen of Pentacles. Everything I've read about her seems to suggest that she is a store-house of loving energies. However, when I work with her in just about any deck, I feel uneasy and as if I'm working with someone that is best avoided. My preferred deck is the Mystic Dreamer Tarot, so I thought that the issue was the woman portrayed in the card may look like someone I know or remind me of someone from my past who acted in ways totally not loving and appreciative. But I get the same feelings when I work with the Queen of Pentacles in other decks.

I use the same deck (its not my only deck and not usually the one i normally read with but i love this deck and the court cards).

Lets relate this card to Virgo, Capricorn and Taurus these are the earth signs and i relate them to the pentacle (the earth cards). First have you ever met an earth sign person? They often dont use many words to get a point across. They can seem a bit harsh and pushy (on a negative aspect). Sometimes intimidating to approach. With virgos though they may come across as intimidating if you got to know on youd find that they are extremely loving and down to earth, while a little over bearing at times they love to take care of their families and friends. Always one of the first people youd want to call if your in trouble theyd help you, with a lecture of course! Taurus, the more friendly of the bunch they are also the type of people to hold their ground with how they think, feel and believed they can not be moved once they have made up their mind on a situation, or a person for that matter. However these people are very loving as well and caring individuals. Capricorn can be some of the shortest (in terms of one word to get a point across) they can be very demanding and sometimes harsh, they say what they think and they expect you to take their advice for what it is, they are not very emotional but they are tough they are the people to take a problem and build it from the ground up, they like to feel secure and hate vunerability. Sometimes these 3 signs can come across as very intimidating unapproachable people but once you get to know them (and the pentacle court card) you will find very down to earth, loving, practical advice comes from this woman, also sometimes in the form of your cards... lecturing you with her.

Phoenix Morgen

Do you have body-image issues? Feel too fat or too thin? Do you have a compelling love-hate relationship with food, or with other personal temptations, or with money?

The Queen, who thoroughly and unashamedly enjoys all those things, might be challenging to you for those reasons. I'd recommend working with her more, not less.

I don't have a lot of body issues. At least none of the too fat or thin ones. Food is difficult, not not because of an obsession with it. I work in fast food, tend to eat different from the rest of my family, and I'm currently going through a cooking phase.

Money may be an issue, as I could have a better financial situation and am currently trying to find a better job.

I use the same deck (its not my only deck and not usually the one i normally read with but i love this deck and the court cards).

Lets relate this card to Virgo, Capricorn and Taurus these are the earth signs and i relate them to the pentacle (the earth cards). First have you ever met an earth sign person?

I'm a Cap and my boyfriend is a Virgo.

I think as Nisaba recommended, working with her more is probably the best option. She seems to represent a side of myself that I've ignored and hid from. Like I said, it's like looking into a mirror and seeing something totally different from what you think you look like.

Thirteen

Like I said, it's like looking into a mirror and seeing something totally different from what you think you look like.
That's very astute of you! Most of us look in the mirror and see either what we want to see, or what we hate, but few of us see the whole us, and when we do, we often say, "Wow. That's not what I expected."

Rather like hearing our own voices and not recognizing it, or seeing yourself in a photograph and not recognizing yourself at first. :) I think you've hit upon the answer to your own question. Please let us know how your dialog with the Queen goes.

JCSeawright

I don't have a lot of body issues. At least none of the too fat or thin ones. Food is difficult, not not because of an obsession with it. I work in fast food, tend to eat different from the rest of my family, and I'm currently going through a cooking phase.

Money may be an issue, as I could have a better financial situation and am currently trying to find a better job.

I'm a Cap and my boyfriend is a Virgo.

I think as Nisaba recommended, working with her more is probably the best option. She seems to represent a side of myself that I've ignored and hid from. Like I said, it's like looking into a mirror and seeing something totally different from what you think you look like.

My husband happens to be a capricorn and my step MIL is a virgo and im surrounded by taurus people (im a gemini lol) I like the mirror observation because these people come across one way when in reality they are completely different once you get to know them (i guess why im attracted to earth signs) my husband tends to put people off and everyone thinks he is not kind and very unfriendly when he is one of the sweetest most loving men once people get to know him. I always associate this woman as someone who appears critical but because she loves you and wants to help you gradually grow into something better. I love this queen :)