Reversable backs

rabidwolfie

I was just reading a review that happened to mention that a deck was perfect except that it did not have reversible backs, & that ruined the entire deck. There was a time when I would have agreed with this assessment, that knowing if a card was to be upright or reversed before I flipped it would somehow alter the reading. It really doesn't. For me, anyway. I simply lay down the cards & flip them in my usual way, regardless of whether I know the outcome of their position. Which then got me wondering, why, for those of us who use reversals, is this a bad thing? Some cards have better meanings (usually) when reversed. The three of swords, the Moon, the tower, um.... can't think of the others off paw, but I know there are more.

But aside from those, what else is wrong with knowing ahead of time that a card will be upright or reversed?

afrosaxon

Nothing is wrong, per se, with knowing about a reversal ahead of time. There really isn't a "right" and "wrong" way in Tarot. Ain't it great? :D

For me, I sometimes like to see reversals (when using a deck that reads with reversals) because it lets me know if I really need to be asking a particular question. Seeing a lot of reversals in one throw is a signal from my cards to try again later.

Just my $.02.

T.

214red

i agree with afrosaxon. i dont like to know which way up the cards are except for my osho deck which i dont read reversals.

the reason i dont like to see the back is i am too logical, if i can see too many cards are reversed i might turn the deck the other way...but the cards are meant to be read as they lay...expect if my intuition says otherwise

Le Fanu

With so many of these reviews, they point out that you can spot a mile off if it´s reversed, but it´s only really the case if you look closely. Sometimes (only sometimes) the detail is so slight.

What´s the difference between knowing a card is reversed when you finish shuffling or five seconds afterwards when you´ve the dealt the cards and turned them over.

Is it all part of the suspense?

Silverlotus

While I am currently reading more often without reversals, I still like to have reversible backs. The main reason is because I like the cards to be a complete mystery. Some of that mystery is taken away when I know if the card is reversed or not.

There was once a time, not too long ago, that the back of the cards could ruin a deck for me. I've gotten over it though, because if I hadn't I would be missing out on great decks, like the MerryDay.

starrystarrynight

I always flip my cards face up to begin with :| , so backs don't matter to me at all, even when I do use reversals. :D

Is nothing sacred!?! :)

minrice

The deck I usually read with doesn't have a reversible back to the cards, and I've stopped noticing ahead of time if they will come up reversed or not! It's like I just don't see it anymore.

M-Tarot-M

I flip cards directly off the deck using a consistent gesture. The card is already face up when in position. The back is moot. I eliminate ADHD inducing dilemmas so they do not distract from the reading.

Onyx

depending on the back . . .

I also get thrown off when I see a card is reversed before it is turned over. I don't want anything to throw off my focus from the cards in order.

So I have taken an approach that if the card backs are reversible then I will read reversals, if the card backs are not reversible then I don't read reversals. I have found that in a Rider-Waite-Smith style deck I like reversals, on a Thoth style deck I don’t and it seems that the pips in many TdM style decks you can’t tell when the card is turned over if it is reversed or not. I find that my Rider-Waite-Smith decks (Universal Waite, Original Rider-Waite, Tarot of Reflections,) tend to have reversible backs and my Thoth style decks (Thoth, Liber T, Haindl) do not so it works out for me.

Onyx.