Reversed Cards?

Aquarian21

Okay I am new to the tarot and I was wondering what exactly do they mean by a reversed card?

Is this when I pull a card and its upside down?

lol I know I sound so stupid but I really need to know this.

Aquarian21

Wow and I have been turning the cards back around...

Okay I could have sworn I fixed all the cards right side up.... Do the cards turn on its own?

lol

star-lover

Aquarian21 said:
Wow and I have been turning the cards back around...

Okay I could have sworn I fixed all the cards right side up.... Do the cards turn on its own?

lol

LOL at turning them back around - that's fine, i do that, its up to you if you want to read reversals, many dont, and many say if youre a beginner probably best to get some practice with just the upright meanings as trying to do reversals can make it more complicated for you

If you have them all upright and shuffle them straight you wont get any reversals, but if you swirl them around on the table in all ways for instance some will come out upside down and some upright

Aquarian21

star-lover said:
LOL at turning them back around - that's fine, i do that, its up to you if you want to read reversals, many dont, and many say if youre a beginner probably best to get some practice with just the upright meanings as trying to do reversals can make it more complicated for you

If you have them all upright and shuffle them straight you wont get any reversals, but if you swirl them around on the table in all ways for instance some will come out upside down and some upright

Thanks for your feedback... but if the card is a reverse and than I turn it right side up, would my reading still come out accurate?

star-lover

for me accuracy comes with practice, getting to know what each card means to you while bearing in mind the traditional meanings, trusting your intuition when it speaks and see how it goes - as a beginner i would tend to not try do reversals but thats just my view

there are some threads in the games section where you draw one two cards to answer peoples questions - ive found that really good practice

good luck

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=93714
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=93776

Thirteen

Aquarian21 said:
Thanks for your feedback... but if the card is a reverse and than I turn it right side up, would my reading still come out accurate?
Remember that you're new to tarot and still learning, which means that all readings are a learning experience and need to be taken as such. Too many newbies lay out their first cards, get the Tower or Death and freak ;) But how else can they learn what the Tower or Death really mean or can mean in a reading if the deck never offers them those cards in a sample reading?

Putting it another way--if you get Death, it doesn't mean you're gonna die. It means, "here's the Death card in a spread, Tarot Student. Tell me, how would you interpret that in a reading?" The deck is teaching you right now. So if you say, "I'm not ready for reversals," to your teacher, than your teacher isn't going to mind if you turn the cards you accidently spun around right-way-up. It's not offering you a prediction (per se), it's offering you lessons.

And if you decide that you never want to use reversals, you'll get very good at shuffling the cards so that they stay upright.

Does that make sense?

Aladdin

Reversals -

Quite a minefield of a subject !
In general for what this may be worth to you i try very hard to keep all cards upright. If a very few do show upside down then i write this down as such.
If any fall out whilst shuffling and seem reversed from where i'm standing (!), then again, i note this. Usually this indicates another dimension to messages trying to unfold. Often i need another glass to recharge the remains of the brain for answers which one might sometimes like to compress back into the pack. Can see why a lot of readers do not go with reversals.
One of my little pocket size books gives four of wands as meaning the same reversed or not. Think you have here to go with 'gut' feelings / instincts which will hone and progress for you over the years.

Eowyn

Aquarian21 said:
Do the cards turn on its own?

Yes!!! Im sure this happen!!!

Hi Aquarian! I wanted to add my 2 cents. I have been reading for 10 years, and I didnt read reversals. And suddenly, 2 weeks ago, I got a reversed card and I felt OK. Now IS time to do reversals. You are going to notice, to feel, when the time gets to read reversals. Because as it was said before, to do that at the begining its too much. It can be next month, or next year. And there are diferent ways to read a rx card! Its a whole new world!

Best wishes and see you around!

Open Arms

The first few months as I was getting to know my first real deck (my beloved Gilded) I never read reversals...I was trying to get my head around the meanings, symbology etc. And as I also read intuitively its the way things are facing, directions, what draws my eyes that I read and see.

So when I first started with reversals, I looked at the card upside down (to get which way things were pointing) then turn it right way up so I could see the card better. Now I just leave them upside down.

Of course there are some decks (Celtic dragon for instance) which is designed NOT to be read with reversals.

You have to remember that reversals are not negations of the original meaning, but an added possible layer...a blocking/slowing/changing of the possible outcome if it wasn't reversed and that is when you intuition will kick in and you will find out just what the reversal means to you. Sometimes they don't change things much and other times they can change light to dark and vice versa!! Not all reversal are bad!!

I hope this helps!

Light and love