Reversed deck problem

Zana

How do you make sure your deck is not reversed? Do you peek at the bottom card? Or just flip the cards instead of turning them after you realize?
Or any other strategy?

AJ

Welcome to AT~

I just taught myself to shuffle for no reversals. Instead of divide and shuffle, you need to take one half, turn it around then shuffle. After awhile it becomes second nature.

If I think I might have turned the whole deck upside down, I might glance at the cards and return the deck to upright before my final shuffle.

Lightening won't strike if the deck is upside down... just turn the cards up if you've already pulled the cards. Honest, it's ok. The less superstition, the better the readings.

triple_entendre

I figured that if the whole spread is going to have reversals, then it was... meant to?

Some other times, I turn the card right-side up kind of asking "Did you really mean this, and I'm just clumsy?" But that, of course, opens the door to getting a card that I don't like and turning the rest of the deck face-up and sifting through it: "Did you really mean THIS and I'm just clumsy you did right?? Ooh, no wait, this one's better!" :p

amethyst57

sometimes the back design can be an obvious clue, but some designs are so uniform too...maybe subtly marking the cards on the backs, a dot from a pen?

once on an etsy-like site, don't recall what its name was....i saw someone was selling a their used deck, and they had used a star-shaped paper punch to mark reverses...

Chronata

I do what AJ does, flip half the deck around in one hand before shuffling.

It takes some practice, but now I do it unconsciously (even when shuffling playing cards!)

My cards are a little...um...I guess well used is the right word. They are bowed from the shuffling and age, so that if some get turned around, they actually don't fall together as well, so I always know if some have gotten reversed.

You can always just turn the card around as you lay them out too.