Root Words Origins and Lenormand Keywords

firecatpickles

Inspired to do a little research into the keywords in the Lenormand deck, I have come across and interesting pattern: all of the keywords have a ME/OE etymology. Not a single one is left out.

That being said, and more info will be forthcoming, these root words most likely have an even earlier connection to Old French, Old German, etc. The plan is to eventually go back even further to perhaps Latin and/or Greek.

I am not suggesting or theorizing that Lenormand has it's beginnings in Ancient Greece or Rome, please don't get me wrong. But it is possible that the generation of these keys words overtime, as they have the same language origin, developed over a much longer periuod of time than previously thought.

It is also possible, however, that the reason is much simpler, such as the reoccurence of one-syllable words in the Lenormand system.

Learning root origin definitions and the way they were used in languages of the past could help me understand more fully the meanings in the Lenormand system ,as well. I believe in a "no stone left unturned" study technique ;)

So, here are my notes. I would love to hear from everyone who is interested, but especially from linguists and grammaticians.

1 Rider ridere, OE 2 Clover clāfre, OE 3 Ship scip, OE 4 House hūs, OE
5 Tree trēo, OE 6 Clouds clūd, OE 7 Snake snaca, OE 8 Coffin cofin, ME
9 Flowers flour, ME 10 Scythe sītha, OE 11 Whip whipe, ME 12 Bird bridd, OE
13 Child cild, OE 14 Fox vohs, ME/OE 15 Bear beran, OE 16 Star steorra, OE
17 Stork storc, OE 18 Dog docga, OE 19 Tower torr OE 20 Garden gerd, OE
21 Mountain mountaine, OE 22 Road rād, OE 23 Micemȳs, OE 24 Heart heorte, OE
25 Ring hring, OE 26 Book bōc, OE 27 Letterlettre, ME 28 Man man, OE
29 Lady hlǣfdīge, OE 30 Lily lilie, OE 31 Sun sunne, OE 32 Moon mōna, OE
33 Key cǣg, OE 34 Fish fisc, OE 35 Anchor ancer, OE 36 Cross cros, OE

Padma

Not a linguist nor a grammatician, sorry! But I did find something quite interesting about your root words, Fire Cat!

Very few of them seem significantly different than their original source word.

Can you please explain a little more why you feel the root word would be really relevant, as it pertains to reading the Lenormand...? :) e.g., could Tree coming from Treo hint at things in triplicate? (word association there - treo makes me think triplicities!)

I am interested in what you are saying, I am just not sure I get where you are going with it...?

Karrma

What is the meaning of OE/ME?

firecatpickles

What is the meaning of OE/ME?

Sorry--and I actually meant to key it and forgot :)

OE is Old English, which comes before, historically, ME or Middle English.

Not a linguist nor a grammatician, sorry! But I did find something quite interesting about your root words, Fire Cat!

Very few of them seem significantly different than their original source word.

Can you please explain a little more why you feel the root word would be really relevant, as it pertains to reading the Lenormand...? :) e.g., could Tree coming from Treo hint at things in triplicate? (word association there - treo makes me think triplicities!)

Yes, exactly what you say about Treo. And I also think it would be neat to have an Old Enlgish Lenormand, not that I have time for that, but someone else may--go for it, I say!

I am interested in what you are saying, I am just not sure I get where you are going with it...?

I am going to provide a glossary of original meanings, I also forgot to mention that. But it won't be all at once as this is a tall order. I will provide a bibliography, as well. I am not relying on only internet resources. (It's sorta a surprise, one of my books --and one of my faves :D but hint, hint it has a lot to do with Middle English ;)

It's not so much that one must glean meanings from the root words, only that one may if they want to. Probably has to do with learning styles, but I know that my memory works better if I can "peg" ideas to memorized material. I think the brain science
?WC? explanation is that it helps memory to connect the abstract (root words) to the concrete (Lenny meanings). Of course, I am sure I have it backwards, but you get the gist.

WC = word choice (I will think of the vocab word later and edit but right now it escapes me.

It may also help date the actual system itself. Madame Lenormand reportedly used a standard deck of cards with keywords and astro symbols written all over them, but that it about all we know.

So you could say there is a dual purpose here.

firecatpickles

Posting anew as I have just about edited that last post to death...

This just occurred to me. What if there is a story buried in the sands of time somewhere, that includes all of the Lenormand "elements"?

We know in tarot there were morality plays and parades, festivals, etc. that historians have had some success tying, albeit tentatively, to the Trumps sequence. Maybe a story like "The Fox and Rider rode over the Mountain to deliver a Letter hidden in a Book to give to Bear..."

I know, this is a silly free association story to use an example. But, hey, tarot has roots in similar devices.

Padma

Fire Cat, wow, that is really interesting! And in regard to the story telling style ("Fox and Rider rode over the Mountain...") Isn't that kind of the official way to learn, telling a story?

I have read many fascinating takes on where the Lenormands came from - and no one seems to know exactly which deck Mlle. Lenormand used, anyways. I believe the earliest version of Lenormand (so called) was the soldier's gambling card game, the Game of Hope. At least this is what I conclude from what I have read so far! If anyone could exactly determine which deck she used, that'd be cool!

It would be quite interesting to have an Olde English Lenormand, I hope someone makes one!

And I must ask, how do you pronounce the original root word for Lady (hlǣfdīge)? :confused: Is it "Lafedige?"

I note with interest that Anchor in old English looks like "answer" (ancer). ;)