Rosetta Tarot-The Hermit IX

GoldenWolf

In looking over notes I've made on other versions of the Hermit, there are a few that also apply here. One is that the Hermit is Hermes, or an aspect of him at least. Another is that this the ninth trump card and its astrological attribution is Virgo (ninth month) ruled by Mercury. Also there are nine stalks of wheat in the card to tie back to this symbolism.

Like the Magus, the Hermit has a staff with two snakes (Ida and Pingala) twining around to form a caduceus. Another reference to Hermes-Thoth. On top of the staff is a glowing yellowish Orphic egg. He's looking at the egg which reminds me of DuQuette's comment on the Thoth Hermit. He wears a gray clock that reminds me of the Magus's covering.

The Hermit's whole body form a Yod, the Hebrew letter associated with this card. The Hermit carries a lantern containing a small sun which ligts his way in the darkness. He has harnessed masculine solar energy. Rays emanate from the lantern in a six pointed star of David (fire and water triangles combined). Light comes down on his figure from a point high above him.

He walks in a field that looks like a labyrinth. Having walked the labyrinth in different places, the journey inward is as important as reaching the center.

There is a sphere in the sky with a six petaled flower at the center of the circle. Around that circle are six interlocking circles. If you disregard the petals, the center is a sun symbol (circle with a point in the center).

The Hermit consciously chooses withdrawal and solitude in order to be silent, meditate, contemplate, and reach illumination. He is alone, but not lonely. He carries light into the darkness.

Babalon Jones

Here is the Magus of the Voice of Light; the Hermit walking the labyrinth. I love this card with its ties to both lunar and solar energy. But I've always been one of those people who doesn't feel lonely when alone. (I tend to feel alone in groups oddly enough.)

Attachments

• The Hermit.JPG
    The Hermit.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 82