Runes: Casting vs Drawing

raeanne

Hi Everyone,
I enjoy Runes. I read all the posts about Runes (even though I don't always comment). I have seen the word 'casting' used when people are actually talking about 'drawing' Runes. To me they are two completely different acts. The definition of 'casting' is: to cause to move or send forth by throwing. So, to cast the Runes, you throw (gently). If you are picking your Runes out of a bag or pile, you are not casting your Runes, you are 'drawing' them. It might seems like a silly little difference to some but to me the difference is huge. It is one of those knee jerk reactions when I hear someone use the wrong term. So, I'm asking - does it make a difference to you if someone says 'casting' when they mean 'drawing'?

FenestraThought

I agree, I think I have the same "Knee Jerk reaction" lol. (sorry If I ever mixed the terms) There is a BIG difference like you said.

Personally, I have yet to be able to really "Cast" my stones. I draw them from the bag 1 at a time...I can't wait till I get my new set of Runes made! I'm so excited lol. I haven't even really begone to "Cast" I have been playing with some Dice I found, thats it. Right now my stones are too fragile to "Cast" even gently...

lol,again, if I ever used the wrong term, I apologized, because it is a pet peeve of mine too ;)

AJ

I guess I draast then. I don't use all my runes but reach into the bag and draw a hand full. Whatever is in my hand then gets cast down on my spread cloth. Using all the runes at one time, for me, is a bit like doing a 52-pickup with a tarot deck reading.

Our differences are what make us interesting.

Wendywu

Sometimes I use a spread, and draw one at a time - careful to keep them in my hand without letting them go merkstave if they're upright, and place them.

Other times I stick my hand in the bag, swirl around, grab a large (or small, depending how I feel) handful and let them fall. Any that fall upside down so that the rune is not visible don't get read. The others I read and interpret but I also gauge how they interact according to shapes and patterns the runestones have made on the casting cloth.

I have a mental overlay for the casting cloth of what sort of thing relates to which section of the cloth and tend to use that if I'm having trouble "getting started" with a casting type reading.

Sometimes I just reach in the bag, swirl and draw one out for a quick line of advice.

All depends on the situation, time available and how I feel.

AJ

Another draaster heard from...

Wendywu

OK, I am officially a draaster! Going in my sig .....