RWS colours

Le Fanu

Just had a bit of an epiphany with my RWS deck. I have a deck which I bought in the UK very early 80s. Blue box, checked backs, "the authorised" etc etc and its a deck I never use. I tend to go for the Marseilles or Thoth or RWS derivative ones (eg VR). However, this afternoon I did a reading and really got into it. Im not a huge fan of the deck though. The colours on this one seem to me a little too strong and artificial, but Ive just seen on playingcardsales that there is the Original RWS, with restored colouring. They look much more muted and nicer. Im a novice with RWS-chat, and Im sure this has been done to death here, though a search didnt bring anything up. I just wanted to know if people think there is a massive difference between the 1980s version and the so-called Original. Id love to see a side-by-side comparison of the two, to compare tones...

teomat

The review here on AT gives a good overview of the differences between the 'Original' and 'standard' deck:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/original-rider-waite/review.shtml

I too greatly prefer the 'Original', however some of the finer details are lost in this deck so if you wanted to do a real in-depth study, you may need to stick with the 'standard'.

However for the feeling of antiquity and history, the 'original' is excellent. The backs are far more attractive and complement the fronts really well.

Le Fanu

Thanks for that teomat. It seems to me, from what I read here, that many people find the "Original" a bit washed out, and that what is here known as the "British Blue Box" (which I have) is generally preferred. What you said is interesting r.e backs. ...