RWS Tarot 101 Queen of Swords

PAMUYA

Would love to hear your opinion on the Queen of Swords

Queen of Swords

When I look into the Queen of Swords, I see a strong woman with strong opinions. There is a single bird above her head, she knows what she wants, and usually gets it. In one hand she holds her sword straight up, showing her power, her other had is extended out and open as if summoning you to speak or approach her. She is fair but exacting; she will cut straight to the truth of the matter. She has a sharp mind. She is often unsatisfied with herself because even she cannot live up to her own high standards. She is a loner possibly divorced or widowed. She has lived a hard life and has grown wise through her experiences. There are butterflies on her crown and throne. Butterflies are an element of air, rebirth, and transformation.

Direct: A decision that you may not be ready to make, being receptive to ideas of others, intellectual, sharp, focused, strong willed, leader, aggressive, dose not trust men.

Reversed: Beware of treachery, false friend that resents your happiness, Argumentative, nagging, unreliable, lack of focus, intolerant, gossip, bossy, vengeful, a wicked woman.

gudrunn

That's almost what I see...

I share your same opinion, but you forgot to say cold, methodical and jugmental. She's a woman who can be in a room filled with people and still feel alone. And the bird thing, well birds are a symbol of air and they repeat in some of the sword cards, and the bushes that you see represent certain degrees of sorrow (it deppends on tone of the reading). The butterflies are a symbol of the inmortality of the soul. But getting back to queen, she's a person also that has her ideas and since she is stubborn it is difficult to change her ways, that's why she's a loner. On the other hand, this woman is divorced, a widow or a woman who like to be alone. Reversed I might say, that this woman has her reservations about the matter but she doesn't what to interfere or say what she thinks. I don't know i'm just saying this without looking at the card right now or a book.

What do you think?
Gudrunn

PAMUYA

I think you are right..This queen can be very cold indeed. Did not know that the bushes that you see represent certain degrees of sorrow..thank you for your insight.

HoneyBea

I think it very interesting that Waite says about this Queen
Her countenance is severe but chastened; it suggests familiarity with sorrow. It does not represent mercy, and, her sword notwithstanding, she is scarcely a symbol of power

So he is saying of her that although she looks severe she is somewhat affected by the events in her life and although her sword is a symbol of power she may well not be!... interesting umm...

I always think of this Queen as having analytical qualities, being able to take what has happened and learn from it, not just learn but be able to put it to use for herself. I think more than a loner I would describe her as self-reliant, that is she does not necessarily want or need to be alone but she is not dependent on anyone or thing to achieve her goals.

I think the loner aspect could be suggesting here one who is able to be alone in the face of adversity and not just face it but draw strength from the knowledge and experience of it.

When you think about the King who is someone whose mental ability is important to him and is able to make the hard decisions without any emotional ties, the Queen brings a slightly softer approach in that we need to remember she is Air/Water and brings a fractionally more caring element to her decisions although she is not afraid to be tough when the situation demands it.

The darker side to this Queen is when she allows the experiences of life to harden her heart then she may have the tendency to become over critical, or cutting in her remarks. She can turn into someone that you could not or should not trust. Waite says of her reversed position "Malice, bigotry, prudery and deceit.

I like to think of this Queen as an independent and self assured person, who at times can be overly analytical and critical but in her best moments works for the greater good. :)

~HoneyBea~