Sage

deedlit420

I just bought a yummy sage and dont know what to do with it. Any tips?

Red Emma

If you're cooking, sage is wonderful in stuffings for chicken, turkey and the like. My husband (the apprentice cook) also likes to lay very small -- kind of the tips -- branches across pork roasts.

If your sage is intended for magical purposes, one of its primary uses is for smudging to clear spaces of negative energies.

One way of preparing a smudge is to take a small bundle of branch tops -- each about 3 or 4 inches long -- tie them in a bundle, then dry them for a few minutes, maybe two or three, in the microwave. They will still be pretty 'green' and make a nice thick smoke. Also because they're green, I need to keep lighting them as I use them.

As a caution, when I'm using a lighted smudge, I hold it over the saucer of a clay flower pot -- about four or five inches in diameter. Then if burning pieces drop off, they don't fall onto the floor, or onto my clothes, and all that good fun stuff.

lunakasha

I LOVE sage....I use it for smudging, cleansing new decks and/or stones, or just to clear the energy in a room.

I usually burn sage rather than other types of incense when preparing to meditate or do a reading....the smell is very relaxing to me and helps me feel more centered spiritually.....

I don't really need an occasion to burn sage....it just makes me feel good!!! :D

:) Luna

13thFaeChylde

~more ideas for sage~

Sage is good for the respiratory system, infusions are good for gargles for sore throats or infections in the mouth.

Deep Relaxation Bath
(makes enough for 4-6 baths)

2 parts chamomile
2 parts sage
1 part hops
1 part lavender
6-8 drops clary sage or lavender essential oil

Facial steam for normal to oily skin
3 parts comfrey leaf
2 parts calendula
1 part raspberry leaf
1 part sage
1/4 part rosemary

Combine herbs and store in an airtight glass bottle. Bring 2-3 quarts of water to boil in a large part. Toss in some of the herbs and let simmer for a few minutes. Place a towel over your head and steam for 5-8 minutes.

lunalafey

feeling that slight ache around your head and neck? sneezing more often than not? nose fluids a little runny? but your feeling fine? YOU HAVE A COLD coming on....catch it in it's early stages with a cup of sage tea made with 4 or 5 leaves some honey and lemon juice and it should clear up the symptoms over night.

Justin

Although i really think i'm more drawn towards crystals, sage has got to be one of my all time favorite plants. I've never worked with it in a tea or a bath or a facial steam remedy, but i absolutely love to burn it. The slightest whiff if safe smoke calms me down and centers me. It's hard to explain, but it's like i've known that smell for centuries and that somehow the plant and i and the universe have a very special connection. I just feel calm and happy and at peace whenever i smell it. A friend and i just did a house cleansing/blessing ritual at her new house using sage and the "feeling" of the house from the beginning to the end was much different. Sage is such an amazing plant and has so much to teach us. I really could go on for about three more pages, but i think you get my point!

Justin

lunakasha

Justin said:
Although i really think i'm more drawn towards crystals, sage has got to be one of my all time favorite plants. I've never worked with it in a tea or a bath or a facial steam remedy, but i absolutely love to burn it. The slightest whiff if safe smoke calms me down and centers me. It's hard to explain, but it's like i've known that smell for centuries and that somehow the plant and i and the universe have a very special connection. I just feel calm and happy and at peace whenever i smell it.

My feelings exactly, Justin.....I LOVE the smell of burning sage, for the same reasons you mentioned!

:) Luna

rabble

If it's a more exotic sage, like pineapple sage, or fruit salad sage, it's wonderful, crushed, with ice, in lemonade!

But in large amounts - eg, EOs, it's not good for pregnant women.