SGC update & other questions

mac22

Well the SGC [Sacred Grove Co-op] is weathering the recession... we've lost a few readers, not doing the big flashy events... But we still have our HQs & still doing neighborhood events & classes. Adjusted our prices down a bit (but who hasn't?)

I totally rebuilt my website and am currently up to my ears in social media marketing [Twitter, Goggle Buzz, Facebook etc.] , SEO [Search Engine Optimization] and web analytics.

So those of you who have websites how DO you manage them with CMS [Content Management Systems] like Joomla, WordPress, Dreamweaver, Drupal? Do you use Intuit or are you old school HTML or do you just pay a web guy?

I DO have an SGC Tarot page with a link to AT on my site. :)

How do you direct people to your Tarot site? Widgets, PPC [Pay Per Click] Ads or what? What other ways do you monetize your site?

In the current times we all need to find more ways to stretch our business $$$$

Mac22

LucyD

Hmmm...crickets in here! I use Wordpress, but I bought a software package that works only with Wordpress to bring the SEO to incredible heights. Worth every penny. All words are optimized. I dont pay a web guy but do pay for header art and specialized tweaks that I can't do myself, otherwise, I'm the webmaster. I purchased an online course to use Wordpress and go back to it often as my ideas for the site change. I dont use PPC or Adwords, mostly SEO and social networking. How long have you been online? These things take time, for sure!

Sheri

Unless you are willing to spend a fortune in advertising, I wouldn't bother with PPC, Adwords, etc. The big search engines like Google especially use a variety of criteria to determine what to show in what order, such as the age of the website (when domain registered and whether it's updated or not). That is why there is so much focus on linking right now. Just linking with an established website that's been around for awhile will elevate your ranking.

No one talks about all the techniques to "really" elevate rankings because they are perfectly happy to continue to charge for the other that does very little unless you are willing to spend LOTS of money.

:love: Sheri

mac22

LucyD said:
Hmmm...crickets in here! I use Wordpress, but I bought a software package that works only with Wordpress to bring the SEO to incredible heights. Worth every penny. All words are optimized. I dont pay a web guy but do pay for header art and specialized tweaks that I can't do myself, otherwise, I'm the webmaster. I purchased an online course to use Wordpress and go back to it often as my ideas for the site change. I dont use PPC or Adwords, mostly SEO and social networking. How long have you been online? These things take time, for sure!

The site is new [2mos] but I am getting traffic & new customers :). I agree no PPC for me either. Otherwise I'm in learning mode.All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Mac22

mac22

Sheri said:
Unless you are willing to spend a fortune in advertising, I wouldn't bother with PPC, Adwords, etc. The big search engines like Google especially use a variety of criteria to determine what to show in what order, such as the age of the website (when domain registered and whether it's updated or not). That is why there is so much focus on linking right now. Just linking with an established website that's been around for awhile will elevate your ranking.

No one talks about all the techniques to "really" elevate rankings because they are perfectly happy to continue to charge for the other that does very little unless you are willing to spend LOTS of money.

Doing my best to muddle thru

mac22

Sheri

It's really the best way overall! Concentrate on linking up with older, existing websites that are related to your business line, including associations. That will help a LOT. Take advantage of social networking sites, too.

Most of my business comes by in-person networking, doing freebie events (chalked up to advertising) and referrals from clients. My yellow pages ad in a regional yellow pages book has been worth its weight in gold.

I read exclusively in person though.