shuffle

billywizz5

when i have done a reading do i put all the cards right way up or just leave them as they are?

Silver_Skye

That depends on if you want to read reversals. If you do then leave them be... If not, maybe try putting them all the right way up and then shuffle in such a way that they do not get reversed. ^_^

billywizz5

Silver_Skye said:
That depends on if you want to read reversals. If you do then leave them be... If not, maybe try putting them all the right way up and then shuffle in such a way that they do not get reversed. ^_^

i cant read them right way up yet lol

Silver_Skye

oh! hehe :) A lot of people prefer to start with all the cards upright and then learn reversals later - but some also like to do it all right off.

I used reversals right from the start.

billywizz5

Silver_Skye said:
oh! hehe :) A lot of people prefer to start with all the cards upright and then learn reversals later - but some also like to do it all right off.

I used reversals right from the start.

i want to learn both

Sulis

Hi Billywizz,

Learning how to read tarot is a little like learning another language.

To do it well takes time - take it slowly, the journey is far more important than getting to the destination.

I didn't start using reversed cards till I'd been reading for around a year. I used them for a few years but now I use just upright cards again.
Reversals are complicated things, most people view them as a blockage in the cards energy but there are many, many ways of reading them.

I think that when you start out with Tarot, the miriad of meanings for the 78 cards are quite enough to get your head around without worrying about what they may mean if they are upside down...

I never put the cards back in order after a reading but some people do - it's up to you really.

What I would suggest is that you start with small spreads..
One to three cards is plenty.
Most of the readings I do are with 3 cards and I haven't found a question yet that can't be answered with 3 cards.

Why not try pulling one card a day - I do this at the end of the day. I ask my cards 'What card can I learn from today?' and I pull a card.
Write down your initial impressions, what's it saying to you.
Relate it back to what's happened to you that day - can you see any of your day in that card.
Lastly, look it up in a good book and see what that author says about the card - does that relate to your day?

Have fun and take things slowly :)

Oh and take a look at some of the threads in the Using Tarot Cards forum, especially the 'note' threads at the top - very useful.

Another good place to find the meanings of the cards is Thirteen's basics.
They can be found here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/
or by clicking the small sword icon at the top of the page.

billywizz5

many thanks

Sulis said:
Hi Billywizz,

Learning how to read tarot is a little like learning another language.

To do it well takes time - take it slowly, the journey is far more important than getting to the destination.

I didn't start using reversed cards till I'd been reading for around a year. I used them for a few years but now I use just upright cards again.
Reversals are complicated things, most people view them as a blockage in the cards energy but there are many, many ways of reading them.

I think that when you start out with Tarot, the miriad of meanings for the 78 cards are quite enough to get your head around without worrying about what they may mean if they are upside down...

I never put the cards back in order after a reading but some people do - it's up to you really.

What I would suggest is that you start with small spreads..
One to three cards is plenty.
Most of the readings I do are with 3 cards and I haven't found a question yet that can't be answered with 3 cards.

Why not try pulling one card a day - I do this at the end of the day. I ask my cards 'What card can I learn from today?' and I pull a card.
Write down your initial impressions, what's it saying to you.
Relate it back to what's happened to you that day - can you see any of your day in that card.
Lastly, look it up in a good book and see what that author says about the card - does that relate to your day?

Have fun and take things slowly :)

Oh and take a look at some of the threads in the Using Tarot Cards forum, especially the 'note' threads at the top - very useful.

Another good place to find the meanings of the cards is Thirteen's basics.
They can be found here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/
or by clicking the small sword icon at the top of the page.
thanks ever so much for your help.