Shuffling and Spreads

AmethystEyes

When doing a spread, do you shuffle for each question/position or just one shuffle and ask as you lay them out?
I only shuffled once in the beginning but honestly, I find no difference in accuracy.

Mellifluous

I just do whatever I feel like in the moment.

I tend to shuffle in between cards when I'm curious to see if any of them will repeat.

Also, sometimes I'll get into conversational mode, where I ask a long series of questions and follow up questions. So, if I've drawn quite a few cards already, I'll stop, reshuffle them all again, then continue.

EarthFaery

Out of habit I keep shuffling. I don't find that it makes a difference either, I just like to. I do tho, kinda like a new base and top card with each turn of the reading.

Suzanne A

I don't have a set routine, except that while shuffling I keep in mind the question, the number of cards I intend to use, any positional meanings. Sometimes I don't use a fixed spread, but do more of a conversation, starting out with a question and putting down more cards for follow up questions. I won't reshuffle as long as I feel that what I'm asking is within the scope of my original intention. If it gets too far from the original subject and plan, or if it seems like I need a fresh start, I'll shuffle.

canid

Do you mean after you're done shuffling & lay down the first card, you continue shuffling before you lay another card down? Wow. I've never even thought of doing that; maybe I'll give it a shot. I do have a set shuffling method that works for me though; I shuffle 7 x 7 - overhand once, underhand once, overhand 5 more times, then continue the process six more times. Then I lay all the cards out. I've tried other people's method of laying them facedown but I prefer to see the general picture all at once.

love.actually

Suzanne A said:
I don't have a set routine, except that while shuffling I keep in mind the question, the number of cards I intend to use, any positional meanings. Sometimes I don't use a fixed spread, but do more of a conversation, starting out with a question and putting down more cards for follow up questions. I won't reshuffle as long as I feel that what I'm asking is within the scope of my original intention. If it gets too far from the original subject and plan, or if it seems like I need a fresh start, I'll shuffle.

I do the same! I like keeping all my card face down though, until I get to them. It heightens the atmosphere and the suspense! :)

Caedryn

I shuffle 3x3 and use reversals ie.first, reverse part of the deck, pick up part of the deck (from the bottom of the deck) with your hand, lets say right hand from your other hand (left), the right hand gently throws three separate sections of the cards to your left hand, with the last one being all the cards in your right hand. I then repeat this two more times including two more reversing of part of the deck. This concludes the shuffling.

Then with my left hand, I cut the deck once from the top of the deck that is in my right hand, and put that on the bottom of the deck. This gives me the first card on the top of the deck as the first card to lay out (positional or free). I then cut the cards another time, lay those to the side ie no longer part of the reading, so the card left on top of the rest of the cards in my right hand is the 2nd card. I do this for as many cards as I need or planned to use. Using this method, your left hand should not select too many cards to cut and lay aside, because you would run out of cards lol.

~ C