Signs of addictitive behaviors in a Tarot reading?

Marion

I am a little embarrassed to say how this idea got started with me, but here goes. A few months ago I was reading an issue of Cosmo (blush), and they had had an experiment where they got several women to give up on what they termed addictive behaviors for a few weeks. One was obsessing on food (specifically not eating), another overdid exercise, another watching a huge amount of TV and so on. None of the 'hard' addictions, drugs or gambling.
What really amazed me was the repetitiveness of one thread in their experiences. Not focussing on whatever really cleared their minds. They all said when food, shopping, TV and so on were not there, they suddenly actually had time to think about other things. Now Neptune is famous for making clear things fuzzy, and Neptune resonates to the number 7. The Chariot. Can't say as I can make a big connection, though I can see some small points.
At any rate, have any of you had experience with addictive behaviors (the milder ones)? What signs in readings pointed to them and circumstances around them?

Marion

Actually I do know how to spell addictive. Must be from seeing 'Zoolander' last night. :D

Thirteen

Quote:Marion (30 Sep, 2001 23:31):
Now Neptune is famous for making clear things fuzzy, and Neptune resonates to the number 7. The Chariot. Can't say as I can make a big connection, though I can see some small points.
At any rate, have any of you had experience with addictive behaviors (the milder ones)? What signs in readings pointed to them and circumstances around them?

Not sure what you're asking but: Water cards and the Devil are dead give-aways. If you get a lot of cups in major positions in a spread, especially 4, 5, 7 of cups, that's a clue. 4 is discontent, sometimes indulgence (in food, drink, sex, drugs). 5 is tragedy, where the spilled liquid (losing job, love, etc., from addiction?) completely occupies your mind, 7 is illusions, the lure of dreams (that the thing you're addicted to can solve your problems--gamble and you'll win all the money you need). Also cup court cards as signifier can indicate an addict, though not always.

I would not say the Chariot is related to addiction except in that it's Cancer, the moon. But I'd think it'd only be related to such if it was reversed--inactive, not moving. Forward motion of the Chariot stalled; wheels spinning but going nowhere.

Other addictive cards are, not suprisingly, the Moon, as that's Pisces--the addict sign--no offence tendered, Pisces, it's the price you pay for being the great dreamers of the Zodiac--(the moon signifies loss of control), the Hanged Man, as that's Neptune (hung up, drifting in the addiction) and, of course, a dead give away: The Devil. Willingly chaining yourself to excess, material things, addictive substances, people, etc.

If you get some of these cards, I wouldn't worry. But if you get a heavy combo of them in significant positions, then the person you're reading for might be an addict--or on their way to being one, or a recovering one.

I did a spread for one guy once, cup heavy, the Devil in an important positon, and so I said, "You gotta watch out for drugs and liquor; they're trouble for you," and he nodded and said, "Absolutely right. I use to be a drug addict."

Solandia

Marion, I haven't seen signs in readings of mild addictive behaviour that I can think of, but a couple of the situations you mentioned brought some cards to mind...

I agree with Thirteen that certain cups cards and the Devil can represent addictive behaviour generally (plus possibly the 8 of Swords)... so, plus those cards, these others could represent the specifics of addictions...

Obsessing on food... Empress reversed
Overdoing exercise... Ten of Wands
Watching too much TV... Four of Swords
Shopping.. Six of Pentacles reversed.

Just a few ideas anyway :)

~ Solandia

MeeWah

I agree.
Also, the 3-Cups is a card I've seen in querents' spreads to mean one of the following: "to be in one's cups" or over-indulging in alcohol; over-partying; burning the candle at both ends; excessive behavior in general (much of that has an emotional basis so it corresponds to the suit). Oddly, it's never been reversed when I receive those impressions.
Ace-Pentacles: a shopaholic; spending too much money or habitually depleting one's resources in some way; greed (I see that as an addictive-type behavior, as in gluttony with material things, money, food, etc.) Those impressions not due to reversals either.

Kimon

Hello,
my experience matches with that of Thirteen, too. Though I would never explain at once the cups like that, if the topic comes to be an issue they always turned out to give information about drinking behaviour.
Greetings,
Kimon

edbollix

My addictive behavior has resulted in my owing a lot of Tarot cards ...

DeLani

Quote:edbollix (11 Dec, 2001 08:35):
My addictive behavior has resulted in my owing a lot of Tarot cards ...

Me too! So should we join "TA" (Tarot-readers Anonymous)?