six of swords and two of rods in the hanson roberts deck

vision777

I want to know does anybody know why are there snakes on the handles of the swords that are inside the boat in the six of swords card? what does that mean and I wanted to know what is that collar doing around the man inside the two of rods cards it looks like a dog collar if it is not then what is it?

Sophie

Well, the snake is a symbol of knowledge, and the Six of Swords is the Lord of Science - so I reckon it is a reference to knowledge/science.

As for the man's collar in the Two of Wands - I reckon it was just a Renaissance fashion. The Hanson Roberts features people in Renaissance clothing. The way he is dressed, he looks like a rich merchant-adventurer, of the type that used to finance the early expeditions around the world or across the Atlantic.

Grizabella

I don't see the handles of the swords as being snakes. I just see them as being an ornate kind of sword handle. But if I did see them as snakes, it would only be as their tails. I don't see the heads.

On the 2 of Wands, what you see as a dog collar is just an ornate, gem studded collar he's wearing. It was the custom of the times. It's just part of his oppulent-seeming clothing.