Snapping Turtle and Wasps

celticnoodle

I am noticing the snapping turtle and wasps around me a lot more, lately. Its uncanny!

In the case of the turtle-I also seem to always come across a turtle when I'm alone, or if I am with someone they never see it.

Now, partly because we do live on the water, it is normal I to see turtles--even snapping turtles in these parts. However, a few weeks ago, the hub & I went kayaking and this very large snapping turtle went swimming right beside me and my kayak. I so wish I had my camera with me, but unfortunately, I didn't.

Then as I go through the stores, I seem to find turtle things everywhere. I am sure these items have always been there--but it really is jumping out at me more right now and I'm really seeing them a lot!

Today, driving up to our vacation home, on the other side of the road was again a very large snapping turtle attempting to cross the road! He wasn't quite as large as the one I saw kayaking -but he was large. If we would've had a larger shoulder so I could pull off to take a pic, I would've. But being little country roads that twist and turn and being that this was a road w/the 55 mileage where everyone does at least 60, or more--I thought it best to just say "wow!" and keep on moving.

But, after I unpacked the car and collapsed in the chair in the living room, I pulled up snapping turtle on the net to see what spiritual message it could hold for me.

It reminded me that the Native Americans believed the turtle carried the weight of the Americas on its back. In China and the Hindu culture, they also believe the turtle carries the weight of the earth on its back. Quite honestly, there are times when I do feel like this! :laugh: However, I shouldn't as I truly have a very comfortable life over all.

Perhaps it is telling me I need to be more grounded. I do ground and protect myself daily--but maybe I need more?

I must admit that I am lately having a particular bad experience I went through on my mind a lot and I am still praying that it will turn around and that things will work out for me in the best way possible. Its not really that big of a deal, I am living through it just fine, but its one of those little nagging things in my life that I so wish would correct itself. So, I've also been praying that it will fix itself so I can put it to rest and be comfortable again.

I read this on a good site here: http://www.spiritanimal.info/turtle-spirit-animal/
The turtle totem symbolizes our peaceful walk on this earth. It represents the path we take as we embark on our journey through life. In contrast to emotional or spiritual development occurring in bursts, the way of the turtle anchors our personal unfolding in a slow, more grounded series of steps and longer cycles of transformation.

So, I am thinking MAYBE this is a sign for me that I need to be patient and that the journey I am on (thinking and praying and doing positive thinking on this situation) will occur--but it may take time. It is an emotional issue for me--but I would love to see it turn around and be cleansed away.

As many of you know here, we are also battling the wasps! :eek: I went home last Friday (a week ago) to our farmhouse and walked in to a swarm of wasps! they were all over the sliding glass doors, the kitchen glass door, and we have a drop ceiling with tiles (like in an office) and those horrible flourescent lights that hang down--and the wasps were in there as well (for heat). HUNDREDS of them!!! :eek:

So, I left and went back to the vacation home, c. the exterminator and he came to the farmhouse Mon afternoon. He told us it was a HUGE nest (just outside our kitchen and dining room) that he couldn't get to easily--so he just sprayed it as much as he could.

We are still seeing a lot of wasps, and more then he expected us to see--though they are also dying and barely able to fly. So, we are thinking about giving it a few more days and calling him again.

But, I noticed that the wasps spiritual message sort of fits with the turtle too. At this site:http://www.spirit-animals.com/wasp/

it says:

You are being reminded that simply thinking about your dreams will not make them a reality as quickly as going out and doing it. Make a plan, keep working towards it and let nothing get in your way. Perseverance, desire and action are what is called for. Apply your passion to the reality you wish to achieve!

Alternatively Wasp is letting you know that resistance to change is by definition self sabotage. It’s time to allow yourself the notion that all things are possible, and that you deserve to have all your dreams come true. Be the best you can be!

also this on the 'whats your sign' site:
In some African traditions, the wasp is a symbol of evolution, and control over our life circumstances.

Some Native American Indian tribal myth inidcates the wasp as the creator of the earth, and was a symbol of order, organization as well as productivity.

Ancient European lore recognizes the wasp as big part in pollination. Here the wasp is symbolic of fertility as this genre of earth-based believers honored the wasp for its role in continuation of certain plants and flowers.

Animal symbolism of the wasp deals many themes. Here are a few..
Symbolic Wasp Meanings

Order
Progress
Team-work
Involvement
Development
Productivity
Construction
Communication
The prime season of the wasp is spring, and so it is symbolic of new beginnings, and starting new projects.

The wasp is very social, and has special means of communication with its family. When the wasp appears in our lives it is a message for us to consider our own methods of communication. The wasp might be a sign that we may need to express ourselves more clearly.

So, I do think the two animals are doing their best to tell me that the change will come that I desire, but I need to be patient and diligent in my attempts to change it as how it affects my future, but its not going to happen immediately. Interesting too that it mentions communication with its family, because this has to do with family members of mine.

I just recently decided to start a new way to try and deal with it, to get this taken care of. So that could be the new project mentioned and the the new way to express myself more clearly. I'm wondering IF I start NOW, if it should be cleared up by spring?

Just thought I'd get some other opinions on this. I ordinarily do not think that every animal or insect who crosses my path has a message for me, but when I do keep running into them, I am curious about if it is a message I need to heed. It'll be good to hear others thoughts too. thanks!

danieljuk

I don't think we have Snapping Turtles here! But (I may have got this wrong) aren't both those animals / insects seen as pests? They are annoyances? I think this really depends how you think of them but I think to add to your interpretation of their constant appearances in your life, are they annoyances? Perhaps to remind you of their attributes? I do agree with you about their nagging nature! I also don't notice every animal or symbol but look for patterns!

I think it's important how you feel about these animals and maybe negative about both? I don't think the snapping turtles are as friendly and cute as other turtles? That might be important as part of it.

celticnoodle

I don't think we have Snapping Turtles here! But (I may have got this wrong) aren't both those animals / insects seen as pests? They are annoyances? I think this really depends how you think of them but I think to add to your interpretation of their constant appearances in your life, are they annoyances? Perhaps to remind you of their attributes? I do agree with you about their nagging nature! I also don't notice every animal or symbol but look for patterns!

I think it's important how you feel about these animals and maybe negative about both? I don't think the snapping turtles are as friendly and cute as other turtles? That might be important as part of it.

Well, lets put it this way--I see the wasps as a pest for sure! But not necessarily snapping turtles--as we haven't ever run into any snapping turtles in a bad way. :D And, I don't have snapping turtles trying to take over my home, like the wasps did. Do ya think perhaps it is suggesting that I'm a pest? :laugh: More like I'm being pestered! :D

I do not care at all for the wasps. I don't really know many people who do though. But, I am fascinated with the snapping turtle. :) I do find them interesting. They are really very beautiful creatures--especially if you see them swimming. they look so graceful really. I know many people do not like them, though. *shrugs*

eta: forgot, no, snapping turtles aren't the kind that you take to make a pet out of. they are still pretty wild--like they are meant to be. Its like thinking you can really make a great pet out of a skunk. some people do it--but, it is a wild animal and really probably shouldn't be made into a pet. they are cute. their fur is soft and pretty--and you can 'de-skunk' them if you wish to make a pet out of them. But, why would you really want to do that? (Though I know someone who did do this.)

SunsetKay

Snapping turtles aren't very patient. They're kinda like top of the aquatic food chain if you don't have gators in your waters. Lol. They've got one mean bite on them and, Lord, do they get big! I think they're like gators in that in the wild they don't ever stop growing. I have a lot of respect for them. If I catch one, I make sure I've got a big, thick stick ready. Anything that goes in front of that turtle's face is getting bitten. I'd rather have it bite the stick than me. I may not know much about their symbolism, but what I do know is you're seeing an animal and an insect with a lot of natural qualities in common. Especially having one heck of a good defense.

celticnoodle

Snapping turtles aren't very patient. They're kinda like top of the aquatic food chain if you don't have gators in your waters. Lol. They've got one mean bite on them and, Lord, do they get big! I think they're like gators in that in the wild they don't ever stop growing. I have a lot of respect for them. If I catch one, I make sure I've got a big, thick stick ready. Anything that goes in front of that turtle's face is getting bitten. I'd rather have it bite the stick than me. I may not know much about their symbolism, but what I do know is you're seeing an animal and an insect with a lot of natural qualities in common. Especially having one heck of a good defense.

They are patient in the fact that it can take them time to be able to walk from point A to point B. :laugh: We don't have gators, thankfully--not in NY. and yes, they do get big! The first one I saw in our river was huge! He has to be pretty old to be that large a turtle! I also have a lot of respect for them.

You are right--they both do have one heck of a good defense! Maybe that is my message? :) Thanks for your input, SunsetKay.