Son Tarot?

Arania

So someone asked me if I would like the Son Tarot they got with a huge collection, as they don't really now what to do with a deck intended for gay men. I remembered the name of the deck and I found a few images I had downloaded into my "probably buy" folder when the deck was still being created. However, when googling the deck now I found images looking vastly different. The few I have have a grey border around them, the ones I found online don't. Unfortunately I didn't find any on google corresponding to the ones I already know so I am wondering if it is really the same deck?

Also, if you ahve experience with this deck it would be nice to hear about, too.

gregory

Which one are you looking at - the one put out by Adam McLean (majors only) which does have grey borders (and is still available, I see) or the Schiffer one (78 cards) which are indeed borderless. (For some reason one Schiffer page shows black edged cards, but they aren't. I just got mine out when I saw that !)

And yes, it is basically the same deck. Reworked some, but yes. If you NEED it I can scan a couple of cards for you.... From either version.

Chris Butler is here, if you want to get into DETAIL ! And here's his web page. With images form the Schiffer edition.

Aeric

I have the Schiffer deck, it's a great one. I use it as a companion to the Gay Tarot which places less emphasis on the spiritual. I love the exchange of the traditional female cards for male parallels. The book is extremely helpful because it points out a lot of subtle nuances in minute details I miss when studying the cards, like the colour or detail of background landscapes.

The only complaints I have are the rather unwieldy size, and that I wish a few of the models would smile, or show anger, where appropriate. A lot about the cards could be conveying through emotional expression, but most of the men have a neutral look, even bored.

Le Fanu

You may have been confused by a post I wrote (I think) on my blog ages ago about a prototype 78-card version which was intended for an earlier publication but which never came to fruition. I got this set off Chris.

But like gregory says, the Schiffer one is borderless. It can be used, of course, by anyone, but if you're a gay man, it's an important deck to have in your collection, either for self-reading or among gay friends. I love it and it's a deck I get out often. Curiously enough, most often in the winter. There is something about its colours which make it feel wintry for me.

The book is wonderful - personal and informative. The best kind.

Arania

Aah ok, yes I seem to have images from the majors only version.

I love the borderless one, if she indeed wants to part with it I'll go and grab it. I'm an intuitive reader, so I do not necessarily need a book (not sure if she has gotten any books in the collection she bought) but if she has it I'll get it, too.

No one in our family seems to be of a totally "nomal" sexual orientation so I really want this deck now, even if I have to get a new one ;-)

gregory

I'd be surprised if she'd taken it out of the Schiffer box - and if she hasn't - the book will be there,

Arania

Good point :)

Looks like there are other decks she or her husband don't want either. Time for a visit indeed.